Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alternate Characters Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
It happened this morning and then just now. I use alt+0xxx frequently for non-keyboard characters, for example alt +o176 = the degree sign. Today when I did that, ETO closes out, and I get to a Google screen. I wondered whether num lock wasn't on, but it was. Same thing also happened with the numbers above the keyboard.

I use: Win7 Pro and Google Chrome. It does seem to work sometimes, as illustrated in this thread: https://www.electro-tech-online.com...xternal-oscillator.145701/page-2#post-1232921 In the first instance, it worked. In the second, the problem occurred and I had to spell out "degrees."

John

Alt+0176 works ok for me (Win10, FF).

Me neither - Vista (current) and FF.

My HP Pavilion, however, has no numeric keypad (and hence, no "Num lock key either). I just use the Ω button symbols option...

Win XP - FF

Alt 0176 gives ° (same as the specific key that also gives º)

Alt 061 gives = (same as the specific key - 0's upper case - that also gives =)

Last edited:
Copy and paste degree symbol from Character Map works, eg. 76°, but Alt 0176 does not. Win 7 Pro and Chrome

Alt sequences have never, ever worked for me. I just go to google and type in "degree symbol" and copy and paste from the results :p

I have seen older viruses mess up key maps , not like that ever, but is 0-9 working without the alt key?
some keyboards have a button dedicated to launching a home page

EDIT: win7 pro w.firefox = ok, ° // also this only works if you use the numeric keypad

Last edited:
I slap all the unusual characters that are useful on a Word page and copy and paste from that. The Alt xxx thing has never worked for me, even locally

Last edited:
Whatever the problem was, it resolved itself or got solved at ETO. At least the common ones started working within days of that post.

£©Ω and so forth.

John

Good news. Mine is still not working. Mind you, my laptop has no independent numeric pad and also it has a US keyboard which means I have to do three key presses to get some common characters, like £ for example. Meant to get a UK keyboard but too lazy/tight...£30UK.

?
The alternate + keys I was referring to are all 3 or 4 characters in Windows. For example alt+234 = Ω and alt+ 0176 = °

I don't have a clue as to what alt+1 would do. On further research, they seem to give emoji's:☺☻♥

John

I they are talking about NUM lock being on and the keypad numbers and Windows only. I get the same behavior with the keyboard and keypad alt numbers.

But then again ALT by itself (left or right) brings up a linux "type your command box"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back