Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

info needed on infrareds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx5

hello all,

PIR sensors are hard to find in our area, unless you order them overseas... im planning top build an IR detector( body of human).... BUT without using PIRs..... can these be done using IR detector diodes with IR filters??? :eek:

if so, care to show/explain HOW?:rolleyes:

rx5 said:
hello all,

PIR sensors are hard to find in our area, unless you order them overseas... im planning top build an IR detector( body of human).... BUT without using PIRs..... can these be done using IR detector diodes with IR filters??? :eek:

I don't see your problem?, as you've entered your location as "Earth" they are freely available at your location!.

Perhaps if you entered a more sensible location we could be of more help?, but I doubt PIR's aren't available anywhere in the world where you've got an internet connection?.

PIR's detect movement of heat, for your purposes body heat, you can't do that with an IR photo-diode.

Asd

Radiated body heat is of a much lower frequency than infrared light.

They are not quite the same thing so you can't use an IR detector. You pretty much can't use a filter on a device that detects thermal radiation as a byproduct to convert it to a thermal detector because thermal imaging is almost never a byproduct! The radiated heat frequency is so low compared to everything else so not many devices (if any) can detect thermal radiation as a side-effect unless they were specficially designed to do so in the first place.

(You can use IR filters to get a normal camera to see IR light because it is right next to visible light on the spectrum, but a thermal imager is designed specifically to see in this ultra low frequency range).

Where are you...overseas is a relative term. Perhaps Earth is too vague?

Have you tried searching up specifically electronics distributors near the Phillipines?

I live in an area where ONLY needed parts are available... like parts from TV, stereo components, and the like....

I could hack one PIR sensor BUT from a commercial unit... w/c aint cheap either... :(

Try to look at the link in my signature.... you will see my beambots, gearbox/s created from anything i could get out of scrap.. it/they should have been servos.. w/c are good looking.. :)

BUT aint available either...

Last edited:
Rx5, you are not far from Korea, and those sensors are EVERYwhere, here. I think, also, many, many chips are produced in your country. Isn't there somewhere you could purchase?
Also, if you are just wanting one or two sensors to play with, there are myriad devices for five to ten dollars (or even less,) that will give you a nice case, sensor, and freznel (spelling?) lens...
I think it would help you, and everyone else, if you changed your location status. I know the positive thinking behind using Earth, however, for practical reasons, you should give your location.
Regards,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back