Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm for electron theory... That's kind of complex it requires general physics knowledge, so that's where you should start in basic physics.
Brian Greene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Brian Greene has written some absolutely fantastic books, but they're far more general than electron theory. Basic understanding of semi-conducto and atomic physics would help
SCIENCE HOBBYIST: how transistor works, an alternate viewpoint
Was a favorite page of mine for learning what a semiconductor was and how transistors worked.

Inductors themselves rely on the electric and magnetic fields, and that particular complex interaction is still a bit of a black art to me, I haven't really wrapped my understanding in how they're interrelated yet.

There is unfortunately a glut of information on the Internet, good sources especially for simple things are hard to find. Unfortunately understanding only comes with time and a lot of different sources. When I'm old and grey and retired I'll write a nice concise book =)

Last edited:
It is the back emf (voltage) that determines the current. If the back emf is very high, the current will be very low.
A voltage is responsible for producing a current. A current is not responsible for producing a voltage.

Last edited:
No, a magnetic field is responsible for creating the voltage. And the current will not be low, it will be the same, it will however decay faster if a large EMF field is required to get the same current to flow. This is not open to debate this is directly observable on a scope if you so chose. If you don't have access to a scope to do said testing you can easily run it in a simulator which will provide the same results.

Last edited:
It is the back emf (voltage) that determines the current. If the back emf is very high, the current will be very low.
A voltage is responsible for producing a current. A current is not responsible for producing a voltage.
Shouting doesn't make something true. As Sceadwian noted that is not correct. In fact the inductor current (when the charging voltage is removed) does indeed generate the external voltage (back emf) which is determined by the inductor current and the impedance connected across the inductor. The back emf will determine how fast the magnetic field collapses and the current reaches zero, but the initial current is always what the current was as the instant the charging voltage is removed. The current in an inductor can not instantaneously change. It ramps up or down depending upon the applied voltage or load.

Think of the inductor as an intertial load. If you push on it it will pick up speed depending upon the force (voltage) applied and the mass (inductance) of the load. When you stop pushing, the load will keep moving at the same speed indefinitely if there is no friction (impedance), and will gradually slow down if there is friction (impedance generating back emf).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back