Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

increasing voltage from a single li-ion cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

strokedmaro

Is there anyway to up the voltage of a 3.7 volt li-ion cell to 6vdc and still support current draws up to 1.3 amps? Probably not but I'm leaving it to the experts ;)

If the lithium battery produces 1.3A at 3.7V then its power is 1.3 x 3.7= 4.81W.
If you stepup the voltage to 6.0V then the current gets stepped down to 4.81/6.0= 0.8A.

Some lithium battery cells can provide a very high current. Maybe you are confusing Ah with A. Ah is duration. A is current.

Is 1.3A the maximum discharge current or is it the capacity?

It doesn't matter either way because the maximum discharge current is normally equal to or less than the capacitor.

As audioguru says, the maximum output current rating of the 6V output will be less than 1.3A. Audioguru didn't account for the losses in the converter or the fact that the converter will draw more current as the battery discharges, I estimate the output current rating to be about 600mA.

capacity not capacitor, this is what you get for blindly using spell check =) Mind you I do the same thing all that time =\

If you use a typical upconverter efficiency is about 80% so you'd that much less.

Is there anyway to up the voltage of a 3.7 volt li-ion cell to 6vdc and still support current draws up to 1.3 amps? Probably not but I'm leaving it to the experts ;)

the thing you need to remember is WHrs is constant... for a given battery there is a voltage, an amp hour rating, a continuous current rating and a peak current rating.

you lose a little from the battery at higher currents and there is an efficiency loss in the power conversion.

dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back