Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Increasing Range on Walkie Talkies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlicRic

I have a set of walkie talkies, they are not cheap toys but they are not high end either, despite this the range is poor, maybe 30- 35 metres at best, is there any way of easily increasing the range, i thought of maybe lengthening the antena but it may be a set length, set especially for the frequency it is trnsmiting at, does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Mick

35 meters sounds like a cheap walkie talkie. Why not get the FRS radio, they are cheap and work far better than 35 meters.

FRS radios will get maybe mile under normal conditions. Line of site the range is close to 40 miles, but that's not a common situation.

FRS radios will get maybe mile under normal conditions. Line of site the range is close to 40 miles, but that's not a common situation.

A mile is still much better than 35 meters, or about 114 feet.

Last edited:
"I have a set of walkie talkies, they are not cheap toys but they are not high end either"

What is the model number and manufacturer, please?

Wal mart was selling some walkie talkie sets a few years ago. They must have had a design flaw. They could clearly transmit several miles with both receiving and transmitting units inside public buildings! :)

They impressed everybody so much that several others went and bought some about two months after my brother and his friends bought theirs. Those couldn't hit a mile on open land! :(

They were the exact same model too! My brother could clearly talk to them at several miles of separation but he couldn't hear them at anything over a mile.
They found that out during hunting outings.

Last edited:
Should pop em open and look at what they changed.

Nobody will let me! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back