Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inclinometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

j_boodoosingh

Hey all, i'm doing a project to design and create a sensor for detecting angles of inclination, I have to connect this to a pic16f877 and then display the angle on a lcd. When these are done, i need to implement buttons for setting the desired angle of inclination so that when this angle and the angle detected by the sensor are the same there should be an audible indication. And finally, the device should have a reset so that when placed on any surface, you can "zero" the detected angle (like an offset). I'm new to programming so any suggestions and or source code will be very helpful. I have to use mplab.

Respectfully,
J.Boodoosingh

Last edited:
The module you specified is an accelerometer, not an inclinometer. Acceleration is very easy to detect, inclination is very difficult.
You could use a photocell on a plumb-bob and a number of LEDs in a semi circle. By illuminating the LEDs in a sequence you could tell where the photocell is. It will require integration of the light from 3 LEDs to produce the final location.

Last edited:
The module you specified is an accelerometer, not an inclinometer.

Colin, please read the data for this module in the link provided by the OP, where it clearly states:

Applications:Motion, tilt and slope measurement
Shock sensing
Cute little tables for lego men
JimB

Last edited:
But it only takes a measurement due to accleration. It is not a static device.

To get 'tilt' we need acceleration to move the 'sensor' from angle A to angle B.:p

Last edited:
If the accelerometer has 2-axis reading, you could push the detector up a slope and it would compute the different acceleration values and provide a readout that you could interpret as an angle of inclination.

If the accelerometer has 2-axis reading, you could push the detector up a slope and it would compute the different acceleration values and provide a readout that you could interpret as an angle of inclination.

Have you considered double integration of the 'acceleration signal.?:)

It can't measure "g" it just takes acceleration or deceleration from the standard value of "g."

There is no 'standard value of g' its has local variations, or do you mean the universal constant big G.?

There is no 'standard value of g' its has local variations, or do you mean the universal constant big G.?

Hey Eric, I thought you were the Big G...:D

Physics accepts a "standard value" for "g" for an object at sea level.
I think the "G" you are talkng about is G-force.

I haven't done this for 40 years, but we are getting away from the point of the topic.

I want to know if the accelerometer is a static device, otherwise you will have to work on my concept of a photocell receiving illumination from a set of LEDs.

If you go to the link and read the data sheet I provided, It states that it can make static measurement and therefore can measure tilt.

From Data Sheet​
The accelerometer can measure static acceleration
forces such as gravity, allowing it to be used as a tilt sensor.​

Physics accepts a "standard value" for "g" for an object at sea level.
I think the "G" you are talkng about is G-force.

I haven't done this for 40 years, but we are getting away from the point of the topic.

I want to know if the accelerometer is a static device, otherwise you will have to work on my concept of a photocell receiving illumination from a set of LEDs.

I agree that we a drifting a little off topic, but for someone else reading this section, I think we should try to be correct in what we are saying.:)

The big G is not g-force, its the universal gravity constant used by Newton and Einstein.

The earths gravitional force 'g' depends upon where on the earth you are measuring.

We dont just consider the acceleration due to gravity, when using an acceleromter when measuring 'tilt'.
If I moved the accelerometer horizontally I would still measure acceleration.

Last edited:
If you moved it horizontally at a constant velocity, the acceleration would be zero.

Last edited:
If you moved it horizontally at a constant velocity, the acceleration would be zero.

Your relentless, I give you that. Too bad your not a cop, the perp would not stand a chance...;)

"From Data Sheet
The accelerometer can measure static acceleration
forces such as gravity, allowing it to be used as a tilt sensor."

Can you show me exactly on the data sheet where it mentions the point you have made above. I am interested to know how it measures static acceleration.
It's like you saying you can work out how much money I have in my pocket by rubbing my head.

If you moved it horizintally at a constant velocity, the acceleration would be zero.

I didnt say horizontally at constant velocity.!

The question you should ask yourself is, in your example of constant velocity, how did it get from 'rest' to that constant velocity without first being accelerated.???

I would suggest you refresh your physics database.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back