Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inchworm ICD2 Bootstrap loader BETA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've yet to test it. Today is my Birthday and kinda busy ;)

But I've cobbled together a simple schematic to make the Inchworm temporarily a sort of JDR style programmer. It's in TESTING and may not work but I've posted it for your study / amusement / suggestions...

You will need to hook up your blank 16F877(A) to an external programming socket on the ICD connector (CON1). And currently I'm using a 100K pulldown to GND resistor on CON1 pins 1,2 at the target device (MCLR)

It inverts most of the RS232 signals but fortuneately the Pony Prog software allows for inversion of the I/O pins on your COM port. (I'm using the JDR mode).

If I / we can get it working it might be just the thing for those of you whom cannot get their hands on a programmer for the Inchworm (ICD2) Bootstrap BL010101.HEX file.

PS don't forget I've moved my page https://www.blueroomelectronics.com, please reset your bookmarks!!!

Attachments

• Inchworm Bootstrap.png
    Inchworm Bootstrap.png
    29 KB · Views: 214
Hi William,
I'm not here to comment on the project, but rather to wish you a Happy Birthday! (At my age, I deny all birthdays!)
Regards,
Robert

Happy Birthday, may I ask how many years you have graced the planet with your presence?

As to the problem of getting a bootloader into an ICD clone, why not use LVP as outlined on **broken link removed**

Mike.

Yeah, but once you get the BL installed and the ICD2 up-n-runnin' you simply program another '877A with LVP off and replace that first '877A in the ICD2.

Anyone heard if Mramos1 got his ICD2 working yet?

Mike

Mike K8LH, no running board yet. I have not etched the new board. I can etch the new one, I was tied up on business and other work. I just pop in when I get up and go to bed (and free time with the kids I sneak in). I fixed my drilling issues. I have the old one part stuffed. Do you guys need me to load it up to test something? I have your chip/BL here.. If I can help let me know.

William At MyBlueRoom said:
For some I'm sure getting the bootloader on a chip is the hardest part.

I can see the questions now: "Why do I need a programmer to program my programmer?"

William At MyBlueRoom said:
For some I'm sure getting the bootloader on a chip is the hardest part.
I'm not disputing that. I'm simply saying that if it's easier to program the bootloader into the '877A using the LVP programmer than it really shouldn't matter because you can always burn another '877A with LVP off once you get the ICD2 up-n-running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back