Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

InchWorm & 16F628A -not supported?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peeling back the dipmicro sticker it's a 16F877-20/P.

Attachments

• mplab.png
    mplab.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Hmm it sounds like its not accepting new firmware... If you can get your hands on a spare 16f877a or 16f877-20 then you could burn the proper hex file onto it and swap the chips.
The 16f877-20 uses a file found in MPLAB called bl010101.hex
The 16F877A uses the bootloader firmware found on my site in the download directory.

Its rare to have a bad PIC but I've seen a couple.

Bill

Will I be able to burn a new 877 with the inchworn as is?

I was tryig to get that screen you wanted, before you posted, lol lol

Actually it appears to be stuck with the 16f877 firmware. Select 16f877 or 16f877a and see if it tries to download an OS. If not then it's got the right firmware.

Bill

I finally got in a new/fresh 877-A. I looked on your web site on how to download the "boot-loader" and can't find the instructions. Please help.

Also, after that is loaded, the OS has to be down-loaded again, right?

TIA - Charles (all this to just burn a 16F628A :eek: )

You can't download the bootloader, you'll need a programmer even a simple one.

But your Inchworm since it's stuck in 16F877A mode should be able to program a blank 16F877A using the 16F877 that came with the kit.

You only need to attach it to the Inchworm ICD connector as follows (assuming 40pin PDIP)

VPP = 1
+5V = 11,32
GND = 12,31
PGD = 40
PGC = 39

I've attached the bootloader for a 16F877A just to avoid any confusion.

Attachments

• Inchworm_16F877A.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Thanks Bill,

I got a Firefly with a Ziff, hooked up to the Inchworm so that should work, ok. Or will I still have to hard wire it?

thanks Charles

lemonyx said:
Thanks Bill,

I got a Firefly with a Ziff, hooked up to the Inchworm so that should work, ok. Or will I still have to hard wire it?

thanks Charles
Yes the Firefly ZIF is wired properly, just turn on #5 (on the DIP switch) and all other off. Might help for now to remove the 16F88 from the socket just to be safe.

Make sure you put it in with the notch towards the left. See the firefly documentation (recent release) for images.

Actually it's even easier
  1. configue/select device/16F877A
  2. programmer/select programmer/mplab ICD2
  3. file/import/ inchworm_16F877A.hex file (the one in the zip file)
  4. programmer/program
that's it, disconnect power then swap the chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back