Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In Circuit Programmnig

Status
Not open for further replies.

huanyong

i know nothing about in circuit programming, and i saw this term existed anywhere....can any guy explain it? or any good tutorial/introduction site about it?

Basically in circuit programming (aka in system programming) is a way of reprogramming devices while they are already on the board. For instance, if you have a regular "classic" eprom, you have to pull out of the socket on the board, stick it into a uv eraser to clear the fuses, then put it into a programmer to load the code into it. Finally, you put the part back on the board and test again. ISP requires you to add a few components to your board (usually a header and a few resistors). Then you can just plug a cable into your header and download new software to the chip while it is still on the board. It is a very efficient way to speed up the test/edit/compile/download development cycle. In addition, you can have the boards built, the parts attached directly to the board and then program them after assembly is complete. Many AVRs, PICs, and FPGAs (and other devices) support this type of programming.

I still prefer the old fashion way of not soldering the chip to the board and having a socket so that one can take the chip out if has to be reprogrammed or for whatever reason

Just remember to make switches connected to the I/O lines used during programing, or the circuits for the robot or whatever might interfere with the reprogramming.

In circuit programing is specially useful for surface mount microcontrollers, that once they are in, they stay.

Sockets became a pain in the rear :oops: and you start bending pins, static migth build up, etc. So is more convinient to do ICSP. :wink:

Ivancho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back