Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

im making a 4000watt pa amp, what parts do i need for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sence Sync

i am planing to make a 4000 watt PA Stereo Amplifier. it will hae 4 channels and is capable of running on 2-16 ohms, i would like a speaker A/B switch off buttun, im trying to build this Custom for a Dj set that is a compact system. But still covers up to 4400 watts, im just wundering, what surten parts do i need and how do i put it together, cuz i dont know jack when it comes to detail on an amp, maby speakers but not an amp.

4000 watt? you're kidding right?...

what speakers are you going to use to handle that?

Re: im making a 4000watt pa amp, what parts do i need for it

Sence Sync said:
i am planing to make a 4000 watt PA Stereo Amplifier. it will hae 4 channels and is capable of running on 2-16 ohms, i would like a speaker A/B switch off buttun, im trying to build this Custom for a Dj set that is a compact system. But still covers up to 4400 watts, im just wundering, what surten parts do i need and how do i put it together, cuz i dont know jack when it comes to detail on an amp, maby speakers but not an amp.

A 4000W amplifier is going to require more than 5000W from it's mains supply - as you are in the USA with 110V mains, which I understand has a maximum capacity of 15A - that's only 1650W that you can draw from a single socket. If you really need 4000W I would imagine using 4 x 1000W amplifiers would be a better solution, plus it also gives redundancy when (not if!) a amplifier blows during a gig.

Also, as you can't buy a single loudspeaker that will handle 4000W, you may as well use multiple amplifiers to feed multiple speakers.

Building a high power amplifier isn't a project for someone who "dont know jack" - it's a very expensive and difficult project to build, and the slightest mistake will destroy lots of very expensive components.

4kw power amp

:D

we dont know where you are going to use this set, but thats your own concern, if you are really serious with this set up try this site

http://www.geocities.com/pa_schematics/jordan30bg/

i have done one of their 1.2kw amp and it was okay, i made it for a friend.
you can bridge this amps to get the power you want.

as a friendly advice if you are not adept in building this kind of power amp, i suggest forget about it or let other people do it for you :) one slip is enough to blow up parts :oops:

this amp is ment for a 4400 watt PA dj setup, it consists of one 12" 2200 watt subwoofer, and yes there is speakers that are 4000watts and above, such as the Audiobahn 12" 4000watt "the Monster" found at www.HiFisoundconnection.com , this amp is ment for one 2200watt 12" subwoofer with two 1100watt 10" 3 way PA loud speakers, now i have thought of an idea of using two Legacy American Pro Sieres 2,000watt amplifiers and run then to power my system, but in the inturn it would coast me $260 USA bucks, now if im correct one of your replys you three gave said that a normal house plug is a 15 amp braker, if so thank you for informing me of that, that tells me that two 10 amp converters wont do the job for two 2000watt amps, and im guess with a 10 amp converter ill probly get a estement of about 1000watts?, if thats true well then, thats just super, if youd like to see some high power amps, then go to www.justamps.com , look at the legacy 2000watt and the JBL amps, i believe youl find one in the selection of brands that powers a total of 4000watts but operats at a 0.5 ohm rate.

Sence Sync said:
this amp is ment for a 4400 watt PA dj setup, it consists of one 12" 2200 watt subwoofer, and yes there is speakers that are 4000watts and above, such as the Audiobahn 12" 4000watt "the Monster" found at www.HiFisoundconnection.com , this amp is ment for one 2200watt 12" subwoofer with two 1100watt 10" 3 way PA loud speakers, now i have thought of an idea of using two Legacy American Pro Sieres 2,000watt amplifiers and run then to power my system, but in the inturn it would coast me $260 USA bucks, now if im correct one of your replys you three gave said that a normal house plug is a 15 amp braker, if so thank you for informing me of that, that tells me that two 10 amp converters wont do the job for two 2000watt amps, and im guess with a 10 amp converter ill probly get a estement of about 1000watts?, if thats true well then, thats just super, if youd like to see some high power amps, then go to www.justamps.com , look at the legacy 2000watt and the JBL amps, i believe youl find one in the selection of brands that powers a total of 4000watts but operats at a 0.5 ohm rate.

Those are in-car amps, I had a quick look at the Legacy amps, the 2000W one is listed as 2000W 'maximum power' - this means it isn't a 2000W amp!. The spec gives no clue as to what it's output might be, but it won't be anywhere near 2000W - for comparing amplifier powers always check for the RMS continuous output - it's the only value which means anything.

USA manufacturers seem particularly bad for this, I've seen amplifiers years ago sold as 100W in the USA and 10W in the UK, I doubt much has changed.

As for the amplifiers costing $260, I doubt you could build a high power amplifier for that sort of money (unless you can get hold of the expensive parts really cheap from somewhere).

Don't let car amps & woofers fool you!!!

I'm into cartuning, and know some DB-draggers...
Even the monster large woofers like those from MTX are seriously over-rated... If you get even close to their rated values they turn into a smoke machine

And those woofers can't be used for music... all they do is make (ugly) noise (generate SPL spressure for dragging)

anyways, if you really want to have a 4KW woofer i would look for a place to buy one... making it yourself always has the risk of blowing something up, and that will get expensive

Exo said:
Don't let car amps & woofers fool you!!!

Yes, why would you want 4000W in a car? - assuming it worked, you would have bleeding ears (or worse!).

Assuming 100% efficiency you would also be drawing 333 amps from the battery, so probably 400+ amps :?

This isnt for a car in anyway, i trust audiobahn, i ahve years and is my magor source for speakers, audiobahns do not blow very easily, if they say 2200 watt it really is 2500 watt, to make sure that the buy dose not blow thier newly bought woofer. Im using them as Dj PA speakers, one, because it coast less to get them, two, they have a better sound effect through them, three, they are more reliable especial when you know everything about the manufactuarer, Audiobahn is just the same as i am, if the speaker set im selling is 2200 watts i put 2000watt on the box to show people thats what its peak is when its higher, to make sure my buyer is more then satisfied. Now i am considering to use four 1000watt amplifiers, but the 4000 i wish to build my self isnt 4000 watts per channel, no, its 4000 watts max, puting 1000watts per channel at 4 channels whitch i know is psosible because i have seen amplifiers that and much more powerful, but a bad side is that they were very chunky, i have designs that show that it dosnt need to be so big, sure it might cause it to have a heat clutter but i have a cooling design that takes care of that and i can make the amp a lil smaller but not by much, still is going to wiegh alot. I have ordered my 2200 watt 12" today, i might take in consideration of using 4 1000watt amps and if guys want to see a scetch of how i intend to set them up, give me your emails and i will scetch a drawing out and send it out to all of you. i might sound a bit of a :twisted: Phsycho :twisted: but you will see my mind if you request a picture, it will completly safe and protected in all ways, all the way down to puting steal goose neck pipes over exposed inselated wires. look forward to leting ya see it :lol:

and another thing, i dont make the speaker i make its box, i have alot of on hands expierents with box constuction for speakers and knowing the correct cubic space for them, i know how hard it is to make your own speaker, i have tryed lol ill say that, it wasnt fun, this setup is Pure DJ PA Speakers set, consiting of two PA speakers with : one 10" 900watt woofer two 200watt Mid/tweeter Loud horn speakers [notice that i say its a 1100watt when its a 1300watt]

the subwoofer is one 12" dual voice coil subwoofer, operational at 2, 4, and 8 Ohm resistance, max wattage of 2500watts, product market at 2200 watts for security of blowing the subwoofer.

Now i only want a close to peak power not peak, i dont know the effects, but 4000watt PA Dj-ing system is actualy a comon wattage, some are nearly 8000watt, but thats full power through 2,4,6 diffrent speakers cabinets, my set only consists of three speaker cabinets, two at 1100watts each and the main at 2200 watts, i am known as Dj-Component but normaly i rent my systems and now im geting my own, using setups that i see in stores, but building it my self, im not doing much more then build the rack box, speaker boxes and doing the wiring, My designs are very technical, right now im making a octigon tube style subwoofer box for the 2200watt. i have made a few sets already and they have sounded the greatest and sold for a good price, this set is my personal set called the Bob-cat, the next upgraded set is the Trentia and then the Final witch reaches my maximum power i will over go to whitch is 6000watt, that one is call AI Sence Sync, that is the highest one iv made and is the highest i will ever go. :twisted:

True 4000W RMS N-Channel Mosfet P.A. Amp

SIR , I am Very glad to hear that You want to build a 4000 W amp
First of all I introduce myself to U
I am a amplifier designer of Public ADDRESS Professional Amplifiers
All My Custom DEsigned Amps are Ofcourse More Than 2000W and I have build The "Giant 10000 Watts RMS "amp to power the Rock-n-Roll concert in my city .
So u May have no problem in designing 4000 W amp with my Guidance
I can Guide U for the parts and specifications of these Amps
But Firstly Answer my Questions
1 Do U Have Basic Technical Know How In the Field of Power Electronics Amplifiers
2 Are u Willing to Spend ur money on Building the 4000W amp.
3 What type of ur amp shouldbe i.e. MONO or Stereo or Multichannel
Then
Email me - Factor_Ten@Hotmail.com

8)

So let me see if I have this right?.

1) You're planning building a DJ/PA system using all in-car components, looking for 4 channels of 1000W each.

2) You're going to use one cabinet each side (presumably fed from two of the amps), and one sub-woofer (presumably fed from the other two amps bridged).

How are you planning powering all this?.

As I already explained, a 1000W car amplifier puts out no where near 1000W - probably nearer 300W. But more importantly none of this gear is really suitable for PA use, I've never seen any used as such, and certainly wouldn't do so myself - in-car gear is cheap, because it's cheap stuff, and not made for heavy use. PA requires moving large quantities of air, in-car isn't really designed to do that, it's made for use in a very small space.

Still, I look forward to hearing how you get on, I hope you'll keep us informed of your progress.

Yes, why would you want 4000W in a car? - assuming it worked, you would have bleeding ears (or worse!).

Not really. I was pushing 1000 watts to the speakers in my vehicle in the early 1990's and have sat in a number of 10+KW vehicles since. You can throw crazy amounts of power at bass speakers and walk a way from it.

Now for the OP you will never build a 4000 watt multi channel amplifier system for less than you can buy one. I used to do DJ work and dealt with the amplifier systems myself so I know.

As for others who wonder how you use 4000 watt of audio power you probably haven't paid any attention to a modern portable DJ system. 4000 watts is entry level power and there are many bass speakers with ratings near that that run multiple 15" - 18" subs in push-pull configurations in one box that can take 2000+ watts RMS alone.

Here's the newer version of the amplifiers we ran. Typically I had 3 - 6 of them in use depending on the size of the show we did.

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/180823-QSC-GX7 1000 W/Channel @ 4 ohms.

Not really. I was pushing 1000 watts to the speakers in my vehicle in the early 1990's and have sat in a number of 10+KW vehicles since. You can throw crazy amounts of power at bass speakers and walk a way from it.

Perhaps you haven't noticed this thread is 14 years old? :D

However, presumably your '1000W' was the highly imaginary specification used for in-car amplifiers?.

WARNING

14 year old zombie thread alert.

JimB

Nigel

Great minds think alike.
I am also told that fools seldom differ!:eek:

JimB

The volume of the cochlea is about 0.2 ml. Doesn't that much power (4000 watts for 1 ms = 4 J ≈ 1 calorie) over any period more than a few miliseconds cause a lot of heating? That heat of course is transmitted to the brain.

Just looking for cause and effect in reviving such an old thread. :D

John

I'm fascinated by resurrected zombie threads. It is similar to an archeological find of a lost civilization.

In particular, threads that went nowhere, from members that joined only to post a few messages and then vanished without a trace.
Most of the times these threads span the bizarre to the preposterous, with requests like:

I want to build a 240 volt, 2Kw inverter, which should be powered from my computer's USB connector. How do i connect a LM555 to do this?

However, presumably your '1000W' was the highly imaginary specification used for in-car amplifiers?.

Nope, custom modified the amplifiers and did the testing every way possible to confirm it myself. Total power draw when turned up was pushing well past 100 amps on the 12 volt side. ;)

Even had a local car audio shop guy test one of my modified amps with a speaker power meter he had and he agreed that my overall system numbers were likely legit and putting 1000 watts to the speakers! :cool:

And no I don't put much effort into looking at every threads start date. I have far better things to occupy my thoughts with. A thread pops up with a topic a I can get into so I give an answer.

Besides if zombie threads are an issue why are they not automatically locked out after a certain time fame? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back