Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

im getting a noisy output in falstad

Ok, so something funny happened to me in falstad, and I got an audio output of an oscillator with a resistor there,
and it was just noise!??

I changed it to 1 ohm and then the 1k harmonic appeared in the noise.

This would make me think resistors are noise generators and u cant use them in synths without being a noise generator, but thats got to be false otherwise nothing else would have worked if that was true.

So im thinking, its not true, that resistors generate noise to a large degree. (I couldnt even hear the wave at all at 10 ohms) So its got to be a falstad mishap of mine, so can anyone help me here with whats going on?

Just an update, I tried it with square wave, and then it worked.

But it was because it was a sine wave that I got nothing but noise.

Is this a falstad error? Or is there some truth to it, and u can make a noise generator with a resistor?

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME!!! Im stuck with this.

I spose I can get on with the rest of my circuit, but I have to guess that this is just ******** and u can put high resistances in a synth and the thermal noise is not much at all, and this is all diverting me away from it.

if i dont connect my ground to my battery circuit, then it doesnt operate does it.

the ground wire of the scope, doesnt even need to be one, I spose it could be one, but it could just be any wire to go into the system.

if i dont connect my ground to my battery circuit, then it doesnt operate does it.

the ground wire of the scope, doesnt even need to be one, I spose it could be one, but it could just be any wire to go into the system.

A scope (like a meter) can't work without a reference to measure from - this is normally ground.

If you don't like the word 'ground' then you could use 'earth' if you wish, or perhaps more usefully 'chassis'? - it doesn't matter what you call it, a reference point has to be there.

Yes, tells me that its stupid.
You are assuming that measurements are always to 0V.

That may be the commonest, but often you need to measure between two different non-grounded points in a circuit.

eg. Measuring across a amplifier load resistor or series resistor with neither side grounded. You need two leads, as with a multimeter.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back