Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ignition coil help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have stumbled onto this article and also have a rat somewhere. I thought of using a car coil to exterminate them. In the past I built a circuit (kit) called a pet trainer. It works like a flip flop but pushes out 12v pulses. This is then connected to a 12v car coil and you put up a wire where you do not want the dog to go and the other to earth. When the dog touches the wire it gets a good jolt and quickly learns to stay out of certain areas. I was wondering if this would kill rats. The question is two fold. Firstly the circuit produces pulses which means the rat will have to make contact with both + and - to be electrocuted although the circuit pulses reasonable quick (not sure of exact timing. The other is, is the current strong enough to kill a rat if it only jolts a dog. Any comments please.

I have stumbled onto this article and also have a rat somewhere. I thought of using a car coil to exterminate them. In the past I built a circuit (kit) called a pet trainer. It works like a flip flop but pushes out 12v pulses. This is then connected to a 12v car coil and you put up a wire where you do not want the dog to go and the other to earth. When the dog touches the wire it gets a good jolt and quickly learns to stay out of certain areas. I was wondering if this would kill rats. The question is two fold. Firstly the circuit produces pulses which means the rat will have to make contact with both + and - to be electrocuted although the circuit pulses reasonable quick (not sure of exact timing. The other is, is the current strong enough to kill a rat if it only jolts a dog. Any comments please.

Why are people so obsessed with using hazardous circuits to kill rats ?(well, this is an electronics forum I guess so we wouldn't see anyone else asking about other mousetraps here) Just use a magnetically held, spring-loaded plank trap over a bucket of water. There are many safer, lower tech methods.

Last edited:
And if it doesn't kill the rat, and only shocks it, they avoid it and try to get what ever it is their after from another direction.

Look up Shawn Woods on YouTube. He's the go-to mouse/rat trap guy, IMO. He's reviewed hundreds of different styles of traps on his channel, many of them designed for rats. Give that a go. It will be much more effective and efficient than using an ignition coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back