Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Igbt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverickmax

Hi

I am fully aware that the previous post mentioned how to test the IGBT with DMM and a 9V battery. However I discovered that a colleague of mine did further tests on IGBT which I have not seen the tests before. I could have asked him about his test but there was a time constraint as I could not discuss him and I had to do other things. So I thought it would be to ask you guys about the tests.

1) Vce (sat) - (I assume sat stands for saturation) The test involved in applying PWM to the gate while 24V with resistive load (lamp) on the collector and emitter connects to the OV of the supply. The gate and emitter was shorted. The postive and 0V probes from scope connects between the collector and emitter. On the scope, the PWM waveforms is offset from 0V about in the range of 1.02V to 1.06V. I could not understand why this method was carried out or hoping to spot something different. Are you familiar with this kind of test?

2) The secondary test was conducted by applying (~8A) postive voltage on the emitter of IGBT and 0V on the collector. The voltage across the diode of IGBT was measured. The average reading was 0.89V. Again I have no wonder the purpose of this test but I assume it must do with the diode

3) The third measurement involved in capactiance between gate and emitter. I have no idea how this teat was carried out.

Finally three measurements will tell if the IGBT is good or bad. I am sorry that I don't know IGBT very much and yes I could have read about it. Unfortunatley I am constantly snowed under with my work and life at home as I am coping with three mad kids. Your help will be appreicated.

Best regards

MM
3) C

The reason behind this is that IGBT appeared to stop working above 100A while it is designed to withstand up to 300A. Hence the tests as described in the previous section must be carried out to determine if it is good or need to be replaced with new IGBT

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back