Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IGBT Gate Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOSFET KILLER

I have recently heard of comparators that have push pull outputs, could they be used as an IGBT driver? Also, does anyone have any part numbers for these types of comparators?

Hi MOSFET KILLER, the LM393 and LM339 are two that have what your looking for.

BUT I would never use them as gate drivers! They DON'T have enough current to turn on a gate fast enough! The mosfet would spend too much time in transition and run hot.

Cary

Last edited:
Isn't the LM393 an open collector output?
I have several LM393 comparators, is there a way to use the open collector to drive a pair of HGTG30N60B3D IGBTs?
I have a nearly unlimited supply of low power BJTs but like you said I am going to need a large current to turn the IGBTs on.
Would it be a good idea to bias the gate of the IGBT during turn off, to switch more efficently.

Use a proper driver chip. Or build one out of discrete components. The current requirements are way beyond op amps capabilities.

Ok, so I will use a pull-up on the comparator and that signal to drive the base of a transistor inverter that will turn on the IGBTs and bias them on turn off.
Or is there a better way to drive the IGBTs using discrete components.

Last edited:
If you have to use discrete components, build a totem pole driver. This is probably the most efficient for switching MOSFETS/IGBTs.

It's much simpler to just buy a driver chip though. They are not expensive and usually have a lot more features in them than just the driver circuitry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back