Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IEEE-Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked

Is IEEE worth the money? Im an electronics engineering student, Im deciding if I should do it or not. The only thing I dont know is how much it would cost, if it was a yearly fee of a small amount of money, I would do it.

Does anyone here belong to IEEE?

I don't participate in the meetings and stuff yet (they are across the border most of the time it seems). The magazines are good though (about every second issue for the monthly ones) have really good articles. I also just got my first issue of the Robotics & Automation Society magazine and it's really good but only comes once every 4 months or so I think.

In some universities you are automatically enrolled in the IEEE (for the purposes of university prestige).

Last edited:
I'm a student member, and it's WAY cheaper than a professional membership... I think $30 a year or so. for what you get access to, I'd say it's definitely worth it, especially since it's a good thing to put on your resume.

While not an IEEE member I can say that membership and participation in professional organizations can be incredibly valuable. It helps if local chapters are active/involved but there are usually plenty of national/worldwide networking opportunities as well.

A short story - after 12 yrs as a mechanical engineer with a medium sized company I inquired about a position with a large company (Kodak was large then). The managers who ultimately made the decision to offer me a job all knew me from my work with a national engineering society. My participation in the professional organization afforded me opportunities and visibility that I would not have had in my job alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back