Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identifying diodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help identifying diodes in a 1980 Marantz Amplifier. There are two diodes in series. They are connected at the cathodes. One is marked A27 and the other simply has an H as the only marking. These were added to the amplifier after production because they are not on the schematic. They are shorted out so how can I identify what they are?

There are over 40 diodes in that amplifier. Which two are you talking about?

Photos??????

Are they in a power supply section, power output stage section, signal section, bonded to a power transistor or a heatsink, black, clear glass, greater than 1/10" in diameter?

ak

Last edited:
There are over 40 diodes in that amplifier. Which two are you talking about?
\
Photos??????

Are they in a power supply section, power output stage section, signal section, bonded to a power transistor or a heatsink, black, clear glass, greater than 1/10" in diameter?

ak
They are in the power output section. These diodes are not shown on the schematic (if they were I wouldn't have a problem IDing them), so they must be some kind of a revision. They are tiny and the markings I talked about in the original post are the only markings on them.

It is a stereo amp, so there are 2 channels and 2 power output transistors for each channel one npn and one pnp. There are 4 pairs of these diodes, one pair for each output transistor. The schematic I have is difficult to read and the component markings are black on a very dark brown PCB and are impossible to read. I will try to draw out the exact connection to the power transistors.

If I were to venture a guess, they are one zener and one standard diode. Arranged together in series with the cathodes connected, I would guess their purpose is to limit the signal into the power transistors to prevent overload. (that is a pure guess). The power supplied to these output transistors is + and - 54 VDC. Is it a coincidence that 27 happens to be 1/2 of 54V and one diode is marked A27?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, here is the schematic of the right channel with the diode pairs shown.

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 313
Last edited by a moderator:
From your labels it makes more sense for H to be the zener.

ak

Okay, turning them around as you suggest, do you have any idea what the values might be? Might A27 be a general purpose diode and H be a 27v zener diode?

Just trying to understand if the circuit makes sense with those values.

Each half of the output stage is a triple-darlington. As such, A never should be more than 2 to 2.5 V above B (the Vbe's increase with increasing collector current). One possibility is that the zener is 2.7 V, not 27 V, with the tolerance code (A = +/-10%) as the European-style decimal point. But if that is the case it still appears to be in there backwards.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back