Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identify Component in Urn(Big Kettle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentSA

Good Day

I'm repairing an Urn and one of the lead of this component is fried as well as the connecting wire to it.

Please could someone tell me what component this is.. It is merely mounted on the surface with what I assume is heat transfer compound.

View attachment 65749

Thanks
StudentSA

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a thermal cut-out switch (or self re-setting thermal fuse, if you like). The urn bottom gets too hot (due to no water in it, or whatever), and the thermal switch opens. It will, normally, close after it has had time to cool.

It would be in series with the heater element.

Last edited:
There should be some kind of marking on it that would indicate it's threshold temperature.

Thanks,

I see that it was in series with the element, the only text on the device is "60" (which if it is a temp I assume its in degC). This confuses me a little because the urn needs to boil water at higher than 100degC, will this 60degC thermal cutoff switch not restrict the urn from heating the water to that level?

Thanks,
StudentSA

Me Again,

I cant seem to find a replacement "easily". Would it be possible to use something like this Cutout as a replacement? Otherwise I`ll look into purchasing it online and shipping from where ever it is available.

Thanks,
StudentSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back