Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identification Technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver Azren

Hello,

I'm building a 20cm x 20cm table that is divided into cells, it has 4 rows and 4 columns.
There will be different external blocks that have numbers, each block can stand on a single cell, each block has different number.

each cell on the table should be able to detect and recognize different blocks, so that i could know which block on which cell ...

The problem is, what technique can I ably inside the table/matrix to detect and identify these blocks so that, for instance, i know that the block with the number 5 is on the 3rd cell.

I'm thinking of NFC technology where each cell will has NFC reader and inside each block will be NFC tag but it's not practical due to the size and cost of the reader. any suggestions (it could be wired or wireless technique )?

Thank you in advance,

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.JPG
    Untitled-1 copy.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 127
If you want to use wired, you could use the Dallas/Maxim 1-wire devices.

The simplest is the DS2411 which is an ID chip. **broken link removed**
Each one of those has a different serial number, so you would have to make your table/reading device know which serial number represents which block.

Alternatively, you could use one of the more complicated ones that can be programmed, and then the blocks could carry their own number and the table/reader would not need to know all the possible numbers.

hi Oliver,
What is the purpose of this project.???
Does it have any practical application.?
E

Hello,

I'm building a 20cm x 20cm table that is divided into cells, it has 4 rows and 4 columns.

Will the table constrain the orientation of the blocks? That is, although the blocks appear identical in shape, they will only fit in one or two orientations at each location.

John

You could use a simple LC resonator inside each block, and then check which resonation frequency is present on each pad. Similar to NFC but much simpler in practice, you would send a "ping" to make the block resonate, and then measure the frequency of oscillation. You probably could use a single receiving antenna, and drive coil in each pad to provide the initial energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back