Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ID an IC from the 60's

Status
Not open for further replies.

gking53

Was cleaning out an old chemical plant / lab and found some IC's in an electrical room. Markings on the bottom lead me to believe they are from 68 as this plant ran between the 60's to 2015. Any help IDing them or how to proceed in learning what they do would be much appreciated!
P_20170802_190610_vHDR_On.jpg

'in house' numbers

King,
That term might not mean anything to you. Big companies some times would get very common parts and have their own numbers put on them.
Reasons: So you and I can not learn what they are. So you can not do repair. Replacement parts are sold at a very high price.
Many time many companies make the same part. A house part has been approved, tested, and probably comes form one maker.

Reasons: So you and I can not learn what they are. So you can not do repair. Replacement parts are sold at a very high price.

As an engineer, I party agree with that :D

Another reason though is so the manufacturer can source suitable parts from multiple manufacturers, and keep them all under a single part number.

So they might source 741 opamps from various different manufacturers, and have them all printed with the same in-house number - meaningless to anyone else. Individual transistors were even more so, but you could often easily substitute devices you already had, with IC's it's often difficult to know what it actually is (and it 'could' even be a custom chip).

I wonder if it's worth connecting 1 or 2 as if it's ttl and try to work out if there's a logic function. Of course, you may just get smoke...
They are ceramic packages. Does that suggest anything to anyone?

You could try to flog them on eBay. You might have exactly what someone else is looking for...

Well... If you got a heap-o and really want to know, then you can do this: Got a microscope? Got a dremmel?

Pop the lid. Crush it in a vise. Whazzevah. Look at the die. Now the tricky part: See if it matches anything you recognize from dissecting other blown chips.

It’s a crap shoot as to what you see. Sometimes the company logo and part number is on the die. Sometimes, there’s just a couple bond wires inside to fool a customer into buying a jumper. Sometimes it’s pure unobtanium idunna. It’s fun to investigate what the other humans were thinking.

Kinda like figuring out what’s in bios or eerom, your car’s non-odb codes, what’s this microcontroller programmed to do, etc.

This is nothing new. I have an RCA 1929 “60” receiver. It has large metal cans with parts inside, filled with goopy wax so you can’t fix them. Actually, though, you can melt them out. I haven't done it yet, but maybe this spring....

God Bless

Back in the day , our dynamic memories ( 1k ) would be upgraded and FE's would keep old ones on foam like these 'just in case'

RTL, wow.

Takes me way back. I built a Morse Code keyer out of these...

I think I got some from "Poly Pack". They were famous for "100 hobby LEDs in a bag" "mostly working"= 51% working.
they were all working, just some of them were Dark Emitting Diodes (DEDs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back