Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICL7106 Voltmeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregmcc

I'm trying to build a voltmeter based on the ICL7106 to use with my adjustable power supply. I've got a circuit from Quasar Electronics (https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/03/3127.pdf)

I've got the circuit built and am powering it from my 20V power supply via a LM7809

Now on the output of my variable supply I want to connect it to the "voltage in" on the diagram. So I've connected the minus to the same ground point as the 9V input ground - and thats where things go wrong - it only displays a "1". If I disconnect the grounds it kinda works. The only thing I can think of is the input supply GND and the "voltage in" minus must be seperate.

If this is the case how would I connect it to my power supply. Also the voltage I do see on the LCD jumps all over the place.

Can anyone suggest a course of action - does the circuit look fine. Should I look at another one - I've seen a few using + and - 5V?

Not a problem - off to the eletronics shop today.

Is that the most effective way/only way of doing it? Is there no magical IC you can use dto do the same thing?

I'm sure there's a way to do it with a switched capacitor bank but a transformer is much simpler.

3.5 Digit LCD Panel Meter (3127) from Quasar Electronics

We are always pleased to see industrious hobbyists building electronic projects from scratch - we have all done it!

For those who do not want to source all the individual components and layout and manufacture a one off board there is a much easier and professional looking solution. Hurrah, I hear you say. Just mosey on down to **broken link removed** and buy the **broken link removed** direct from us either as an electroni kit or if you are really busy you can even get it as a pre-assembled electronic module.

Yes, we know it might cost a bit more and maybe it isn't such a challange or quite as rewarding as the DIY route but then you did get the job finished in half an hour not one and a half days and now you can get on with something more interesting instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back