Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD2 Compatable + PCB layout

Status
Not open for further replies.
You also need to consider what software the user will have to install to work with the programmer hardware.

If you go with a dumb (no processor) solution I suggest you do not try to obtain VPP from the serial port.

I do not think you can get ICD2's anymore but the PICkit2 is selling for $35. You may be able to talk them into a quantity discount. It may be borderline but I would think about how much engineering and manufacturing will cost to come up with a custom solution. The PICkit2 comes with a program call PIKkit2.exe. To reflash the chips it will only be 3 or so mouse clicks. There is also a program called PICkit2cmd.exe. It may be possible to use this program to automate the update. The one down side is that you will need a RJ17 to PICkit2 cable for each unit.

3v0

Last edited:
Thanks. That's not ideal unless they'll give a discount because I am certain they can be custom manufactured for considerably less. Engineering *should* be minimal since there are plenty of designs freely available. We just don't have the in-house skill to take those designs and do anything with them. I read how people say they can make a single debugger for "a few dollars" so I figured 100+ would be in that range as well. And your post above seemed to suggest that for this purpose, the pickit is overkill as we just need a "simple programmer".

Thanks.

There is a usb programmer you can make cheap. But need to no what chip your re flashing

You should of used a bootloader been the cheapest way to go.
I was looking at what chips this usb programmer has flashed no one has tried you chip.
it's like the programmer part of a pickt1 not much to it if it will work you could make then cheap less then 10.00 dollars US

When I wrote, "Granted, we should have designed our product with a USB interface but we didn't." I basically meant I wasn't looking for "you should have". Its like my wife constantly telling me "I told you so" :)

So which programmer were you talking about? You want to make a hundred or two for us? Or do you have a link so I can contact them?

If I wasn't clear, that's what is on the table here. We don't have the in-house personel right now to do this. We need someone to basically sell us a couple hundred of these and we need them in the sub $20 range to make sense. It needs to work and either be dead simple for the end user, or at least have a reliable set of clear steps they can follow. We do have some scripting talents in-house so we could also automate the process if necessary.

I do not see where there is any profit in this at $20 a copy.

You have to lay out the PCB and build a prototype. Have the PCB's made, select and buy the parts, build the 100 PCBs, and make 100 cables. If it does not include a charge pump you will have to provide a wall wart and VPP regulation on the board. Do not forget that you have to test each unit and cable.

Packaging ?

3v0

You could be right. It was only a request/feeler. I've seen several postings where people say the plans exist and they can be made "for a few dollars" so my logic maintains that if one can be made for a few dollars then 100 should even be less. In that regard, I'm willing to pay a premium :)

From my understanding, the USB should be able to power. Even with the ICD2 you only need the wall wart for debugging not programming.

If the board is designed to accept it, then the cable is a non-issue. I can get pre-made phone cables for pennies. A little thought would have to go into the pinouts but that shouldn't be too hard, right?

If there is one thing I'm good at, it is sourcing parts. So if that's an issue then I can do that part of it.

Packaging is not a concern. Ideally it would be in a plastic enclosure but unless there happens to be one perfect for it at somewhere like polycase then that adds too much to the cost and isn't really necessary I don't think. Beyond that, they'd just be bulk shipped to us and we'd take care of repacking and distribution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back