Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ic help

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew8485

hello i am very intrested in learning electrontic and i have learn the basics through free online totorials on the web and then found this site and i love it and have been reading alot on hear but i keep on seeing ic chips on scamatics and i would like to learn more about them because they seem like a very important chip in dezining any thing electrical i tried numorous searches but found nothing. can some one help or point me into a online tororial direction thanks a million sorry for the spelling

Andrew, there are many thousands of different IC chips, which one are you interested it.
Lots of fat books have all the info you ever want about them but they are expensive.
Perhaps you can find some of the spec sheets with Google, just type in the exact IC number and see what comes up.
Good luck with translating this :D

Klaus

ic stands for "integrated circuit"

This means that it is circuit that has been "shrunk" down to size to fit on a single chip for a specific pupose.

for example: a TTL AND gate chip is a very common ic

TTL stands for transistor transistor logic - this means that in the AND ic there are many very tiny transistors hooked up in such a way that an AND gate is formed. The very same AND gate could be hooked up using regular sized transistors, but it would be much bigger.

An AND gate basically compared to digital input signals (0 or 1) and if they are the same it will output a digital "1" and if they are not the same is will output a digital "0"

if you are interested in learning more about ics i recommend you look up AND gates, OR gates, NAND gates, XOR gates... to get a general idea...
the datasheets for these chips will show a circuit diagram of what would happen if you were to built these ics in full size with transistors.

edit: 74ls08 is a common ttl AND gate... (happy googling ) :)

i did know about and,xor, ect gates before. so what you are telling me is that a ttl ic chips is a combanation of gates in one chip. and i am assuming there are many chips in this ttl catagory for the diferent types and combanationions of gates :?: . Am i under standing what a ttl chip is correctly :?: . What do the other types of chips represent/do - comos, linear :?: . I learned alot about gates, resistors, logic, diolodes, ect through online totorials but they don't tell you any info about ic chips on there totorials :x that is why i am asking these questions about them. the info that you gave me cleared alot up about a ic chip for me which i could not find on the internet :D . what i learned before this is a ic chip is a chip that takes place of a circuit which did not help. but now i can see some light at the end of the ic tunnel. thanks one again and sorry for the misspellings. I love the faces as you can see

Andrew - not sure where you live. More than once I've suggested to friends and neighbors that Radio Shack publishes some nice books that might be perfect for you. No, the book isn't a replacement for years of college or on the job experience but there is usually enough information provided for a novice to learn a little theory then put a little bit of that theory to work. Forrest Mimms comes to mind and might be the author of these books. Certainly others have published similar books - and there might be something on-line.

The ICs that I recall are used in some of the simple projects are the LM741 op amp, LM386 audio amplifier, 555 timer. Digital logic is also discussed but I can't recall the specific ICs. As one person suggested, look up some of these. A few others to look up - LM317 (volt regulator), TDA2002 (audio amp), MC3423 (overvolt protection), LM723 ( a more exotic voltage regulator).

Hope this helps.

yes... ttl AND ics usually have about 4 gates in them. Each gate is made up of a series of mini transistors and resistors. there are many ttl chips out there that do many many different things... but you should be able to duplicate any ic with regular sized transistors, resistors, etc... therefore any circuit that many people use becomes an integrated circuit to save time and space.

CMOS stands for complementary metal oxide semiconductor
they are just a different kind of transistor... you can get AND gates, OR gates, etc, that are either ttl or cmos...

CMOS RULES! :D TTL bugs me, I see it as quite outdated. Guess it might be better for powered apps or long distances though....

andrew8485 said:
i did know about and,xor, ect gates before. so what you are telling me is that a ttl ic chips is a combanation of gates in one chip. and i am assuming there are many chips in this ttl catagory for the diferent types and combanationions of gates :?: . Am i under standing what a ttl chip is correctly :?: . What do the other types of chips represent/do - comos, linear :?: . I learned alot about gates, resistors, logic, diolodes, ect through online totorials but they don't tell you any info about ic chips on there totorials :x that is why i am asking these questions about them. the info that you gave me cleared alot up about a ic chip for me which i could not find on the internet :D . what i learned before this is a ic chip is a chip that takes place of a circuit which did not help. but now i can see some light at the end of the ic tunnel. thanks one again and sorry for the misspellings. I love the faces as you can see
Hey Andrew check this out:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2003/07/LM556.pdf

On the first page of this data sheet, you can see what other things are actually inside this IC. That's the beauty of IC's -- they are a tiny package of small electronic components that work together to perform a specific job. In this case, the LM556 produces timed pulses which you can use as a clock, a counter driver, millions of things. Go to any IC manufacturer website (National, Maxim, etc.) and look through some datasheets for their different IC's. This will give you a good feel for what IC's are, and how many different jobs they can do. Hope this helps.

thanks every one for your help and i did some research online but i have one more question. How do YOU search for a ic by the job/ task you want it do do after you determined what type you want(ttl,cmos ,ect)? I also went to jameco.com and look looked at there data sheets to see how ic would look like make with resistors,trasistors,ect. sorry for being a pain. :(
thanks, :D

andrew8485 said:
thanks every one for your help and i did some research online but i have one more question. How do YOU search for a ic by the job/ task you want it do do after you determined what type you want(ttl,cmos ,ect)? I also went to jameco.com and look looked at there data sheets to see how ic would look like make with resistors,trasistors,ect. sorry for being a pain. :(
thanks, :D
Don't worry, you're not being a pain, Andrew...you're asking very important questions about IC technology, and it seems like you're learning quickly. Your last question is a good one, too.

When deciding between the use of TTL or CMOS, most designers go with CMOS. CMOS chips basically replace TTL chips in most applications because of the facts seen in this comparison:

**broken link removed**

That's the easy choice...but to choose what type of specific TTL or CMOS chip, you will most likely need good a deal of electronic design experience. One hint, though, is to start with a block diagram. That's were most electronic design ideas begin--especially if they are fairly complex. Break down the functions of your idea into separate blocks, and connect them in the flow of operation you want. Then you can look at each block and choose the correct IC to do each job.

subzero349 said:
An AND gate basically compared to digital input signals (0 or 1) and if they are the same it will output a digital "1" and if they are not the same is will output a digital "0"

well, the AND gate outputs '1' or HIGH ib BOTH inputs are '1'. as subzero said, the gate will output a '1' if '0' is present at all the inputs. this is NOT true.
i will say this again. an AND gate outputs a '1' if ALL the inputs are '1' and a '0' is outputed in the other cases.
the OR gate outputs a '0' when ALL the inputs are '0' and a '1' in any other cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back