Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I_rms of input capacitor to buck controller. What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

king.oslo

Hello there,

The MAX8792 datasheet (https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/01/MAX8792-1.pdf) depict a C[SUB]in[/SUB]. It is placed on the input to the high-side switching MOSFET and the T[SUB]on[/SUB]-pin.

The datasheet says:

The input capacitor must meet the ripple current requirement (I[SUB]RMS[/SUB]) imposed by the switching currents. The I[SUB]RMS[/SUB] requirements may be determined by the following equation:

[LATEX]I_R_M_S = (\frac{I_L_O_A_D}{V_I_N})\sqrt{V_o_u_t(V_i_n-V_o_u_t)}[/LATEX]

In layman's terms, what is the I[SUB]RMS[/SUB] referred to here? Is this the ripple current rating the capacitor must have for longlivity? Is this some kind of current requirement to for proper output current capability?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Marius

Last edited:
Hi,

The capacitor you buy to use with your circuit must have a rating at least equal to the max ripple current requirement or else it will heat up too much and possibly blow out much too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back