Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to learn learn learn SMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockz

Hi Guys

I have just recently started a new job as an electronics test technician and I have noticed a number of SMPS circuits that I will be required to test. I was simply wondering if any of you had any resources that you would recommend or could give some great tips, notes, advice etc on the subject matter. Id like to learn more than in necessary to fault find and test , i would love to tackle my own build.

Thanks guys

Hi Guys

I have just recently started a new job as an electronics test technician and I have noticed a number of SMPS circuits that I will be required to test. I was simply wondering if any of you had any resources that you would recommend or could give some great tips, notes, advice etc on the subject matter. Id like to learn more than in necessary to fault find and test , i would love to tackle my own build.

Thanks guys

To get started with the basics, you might want to get the excellent book "Switching Power Supply Design" by Abraham I. Pressman.

Hi Guys

i would love to tackle my own build.

Thanks guys

Jim Williams at Linear once characterized anyone who "wanted" to design their own switcher as crazy. If you don't know who is was, look him up. He was an accomplished engineer who wrote with an unmistakable panache.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/upload_2013-11-4_20-6-49-png.81780/

Here is one of his more popular application notes: http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/application-note/an35f.pdf

As for designing your own, I would strongly recommend one of the National (now TI) Simple-Switcher IC's plus their design aids.

Last edited:
Id like to thank everyone for there speedy feedback, its really encouraging. Ive been watching a couple of videos and dabbling in and out of literature, Im slowly building my knowledge and starting to realise there are a lot of IC's available for building smps supplies. Its all good fun.

I will look into all of the resources posted here, thankyou.

Id like to thank everyone for there speedy feedback, its really encouraging. Ive been watching a couple of videos and dabbling in and out of literature, Im slowly building my knowledge and starting to realise there are a lot of IC's available for building smps supplies. Its all good fun.

I will look into all of the resources posted here, thankyou.

Hi

Everything that BGA above said is true. Don't get put off though. Do yourself a favor and read the whole link I provided...
If you can understand SMPS...you will be OK . They are what I deal with DAILY. After around 35 Years they still throw curved balls at me...

I know them, but hate them at the same time. One little thing that is still faulty on the Primary side and BANG.

Start again :banghead:. And Variac's don't always help.

You know what...SMPS are not supposed to be repaired anyway. Think about that...

Except if it is part of a CRT TV PSU :nailbiting:. Everything is on one PCB. No board swapping possible...

Either fix it or cull it

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
wondering if any of you had any resources that you would recommend or could give some great tips, notes, advice etc
Compare what you are working on and what the manufacture says to do.
>get the data sheet.
>get the application note.
>there are usually good formulas and descriptions of what is going on.
>ask questions here!
>many times the design is copied from a data sheet.
>look for the function of each part.
>>this resistor sets the frequency, that resistor sets the output voltage, current limit, etc
>>This cap is a filter. That cap sets the osc frequency.

Hi Ron

Going to be a bit lighthearted here...and possibly a bit off Topic :)

Not referring to your post and all, just stating stuff the way I have seen things here lately :woot:

Remember I referred constantly to the "Dunning Kruger" effect a few ..."years" ago :arghh:

LOL...well it has come into play.....my "student" has become stupider and stupider the more I teach him....

He know is doing stuff that I never taught him..constantly watches me...instead of looking at what HE is doing...Bang here, Explosion here, Smoke here and there...and then looks to me again.......:banghead:

And I look at him....and what do I say...

Shall we start again and see in a few years time....no time for that LOL...Seven Years wasted is enough.

Stupidity is a disease that canno't be cured. EVER.

It was fun talking about it though...I am getting stupider by the day hanging around Morons....ETO and the good people here give at least a little bit of sanity and so on.....you Guys are the best.

I wanted to say more, but I will leave it there

Regards,
tvtech

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Id like to note that I have no interest in repairing smps, just the appreciation of how they work so that when I come to test them as part of my job.

my "student" has become stupider and stupider the more I teach him....
I would like to say something about that but I won't.

I have been reading very old books. (mostly books of Abrahamic religions) There is a common theme that the next generation is stupid. I have friends that are convinced that "in bible times they were infinitely smart" and each generation is less and less and we will soon be nothing.

I believe that books were written by old men who can see that 16 year olds are not smart. By the time the 16 person is 60 and writes a book...........
I have studied this. I think the IQ level is headed very slightly up (or at least holding steady). It is not headed down hard.

Remember you were 19 once. (1000 years ago) Your father thought you were too stupid to walk and think at the same time. Your father in law thought even less of you. Good think most old men don't say what they think about their children/grand children. (and other peoples children)

There were some stupid old men that tried to teach me. They probably thought they failed, but they did not fail. It just takes years for the brain to grow in. Well; I am now a stupid old man. (just ask any {stupid} 18 year old)

I would like to say something about that but I won't.

I have been reading very old books. (mostly books of Abrahamic religions) There is a common theme that the next generation is stupid. I have friends that are convinced that "in bible times they were infinitely smart" and each generation is less and less and we will soon be nothing.
Robots will take over , end of human life

Forrest Gump say's; Quote: (Stupid is as Stupid does sir and that's all I have to say about that......:p)

(Removed: YouTube Video)

Good luck on the learning path Shockz. I'm on one myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back