Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I think I have solved ur motor problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedarkavenger

Hey, guys

I been reading the posts about controlling a motor using a Parellel and serial port (since I want to do the same) and was wondering if it was possible to do without all those microcontrollers and PICs. You see, the Parellel port can carry a load upto 5V and 2.5mA. Now the problem is the Amperes. Most normal motors can work from 1.5V onwards (exept the 12V ones). But the minimum load on a motor is atleast 1Amps. So the miserable 2.5mA generated by the serial and parelle ports is not enough.
:cry: But we can get around this by 2 methods.
1) By using an optoisolator. This is better because there is NO COMMON GROUND and also the optpisolator also isolates the current of one circuit from another.

2)By using a Current or Gain amplifier.
since the input is 2.5mA and we need 1A on the other end the gain would be 400. So if we can build an amplifier with a gain of 400 our problem would be solved. Since we will be using common ground here the output comes from any of the 8 data pins of the parellel port and goes to the current amplifier from which the output goes to to the motor.
Oh, and by the way we can also use a normal relay to change the direction of the motor if we dont want to use a H-bridge.
Now does anybody out there know how to build a current amplifier with a gain of 400??? :? :!:

Now does anybody out there know how to build a current amplifier with a gain of 400???

Sorry to state the bleeding obvious, but isn't a bipolar transistor, generally speaking, a current amplifier?? :wink: eg TIP111: gain = 750

Use darlington transistors for large current gains.

Man this is bad

Hey come on guys,
I thought that you would gimme a circuit :(
But anyway, Ive resorted to using an optocoupler. :lol:

Re: Man this is bad

thedarkavenger said:
Hey come on guys,
I thought that you would gimme a circuit :(
But anyway, Ive resorted to using an optocoupler. :lol:

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/parallel_output.html

scroll down you'll see the opto/darlington driver i use and it works perfectly if your clever you can make it on stripboard very compact
the 5 pins on the 9way d plug line up nice with the strips for soldering on

and just for thought i have used this setup with highside drivers from ebay £1.99 for 10 IPS511 thay can handle 5A each

( im clever i just get strip board cheep :wink: )

Attachments

• dcp00913.jpg
    dcp00913.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 1,599
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back