Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I survived again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been to India. I was called Audioguru by a salesman at a job where I was the audio engineer for a tele-conferencing products manufacturer.
The salesman also has never been to India. The salesman was grateful that I fixed a common problem.

Many customers complained that voices from the tele-conferencing products sounded muffled and many words were difficult or impossible to understand. I measured the round trip frequency response of local telephone lines and found that 3kHz was attenuated about -12dB then I complained to Bell. Bell said that -12dB is normal and their spec had a maximum attenuation at 3kHz of -15dB which is extremely muffled then many consonant sounds in speech are muted.

So I designed and built a transmit equalizer that boosted 3kHz by about +12dB (with a sharp drop of higher frequencies) then voices sounded crisp and clear. Every one that I demonstrated was sold.

HATS off to your foundations\ of Knowledge and application capability. Guru and Pundit are universally adopted from Sanskrit the Indian oriental language. and as the salesman rightly honored you ( or should i say honored himself by honoring you). I join other members wishing you the best of health ,

Yes, guru is commonly used in the US to refer to someone very knowledgeable about a subject.

Our language (American English) is very adept at absorbing words from other languages. Another example is "honcho" from Japanese meaning group leader. In WWII , American soldiers brought it back with the same meaning. Today, in the US, it is quite common to refer to someone as the "chief honcho," meaning the person in charge. The list of originally non-English words included in everyday speech is quite large.

John

Another example is "honcho" from Japanese meaning group leader.
I have known the word honcho for many years, but always thought that it originated from Spanish, not sure why, probably because it sounds Spanish by ending in "O". (Like "ocho", meaning eight).

So, I have learned something today, thank you John.

JimB

I join other members wishing you the best of health ,
Thank you.
I survived even again! Because in a recent blood test my doctor told me that my results are like a man 20 years younger than my 68 years.
I feel great. I can run faster than my dogs.

Yikes that is a serious operation. I hope you heal soon.

After my heart attack and repairs I went to the hospital for a 6-months excercise program for heart patients. There were some people who had a multiple bypass operation and one young lady had her heart replaced from a donor. I am glad they fixed my blocked heart arteries without chopping my chest open.

WOW !

I thought I was reading my own story. imagesCAPUQD58.jpg

I just recently celebrated one year since my heart attack , ( Oct 5th ) and subsequent procedure ( two stents installed)

It was at the Ottawa Heart Institute.

Best possible care , great cardiologists .

Feel good , although the anxiety after the procedure lasted a few months.

I also took the rehab course , and found that it helped a lot .

People ! Don't hesitate !

If you feel any chest pain , shortness of breath etc.

Get it checked out A S A P .

Al, how old were you when you had your heart attack then got fixed? I was 64. Now I am 48 years old again.:)

I was 64. Now I am 48 years old again
Mmmm...
Doctor Who does heart surgery?
JimB

Mmmm...
Doctor Who does heart surgery?
JimB
I don't know if the hospital doctor who did angioplasty on my heart arteries is a cardiologist or is a cardiac surgeon. Maybe he is both.

the hospital doctor who did angioplasty

Ahh that well known Irish nurse from the cardiac unit - Angie O'Plasty.
(Sadly not an original jest by me. Thank you Mr Wogan)

JimB

All the best, AG.

Your Friend,
kv

Edit: Run like the wind, or walk like a breeze. And if I'm a hundred, I hope to run.

There has not been much snow in my part of Canada for the last few years. Snow slows my dogs a lot but I go faster while I am slipping and sliding all over the place.

In winter a few years ago I was walking my dog (before I got the second one) and I stepped on some ice on the sidewalk. I went flying through the air and thought that it is going to hurt a lot. Then I thought I should protect my head with my hand. My head didn't hit the sidewalk hard but my hand hurt a lot then my dog kept on walking and dragging me where I fell down. I saw ice on the same spot one year later and avoided it.

Having endured many Winters in SE Minnesota, I have had a few scares myself with ice on the front steps. Would definitely prefer snow to ice. NE Ohio (West of the Cuyahoga river) is nice in that we have mostly snow that melts in a few days. At our age, a good bash to the head is my greatest worry.

John

AG, you are so fast man, you decided to save your head when you were flying and saved your head, wow!

Amazing lifestyle! I have never seen snow and sea in my real life. Hope to see as soon as possible, I think it is so so so beautiful!

Last edited:
As far as 'saving your head' goes, I would suggest you all start learning Ju Jitsu - the break falls are designed for that very purpose, and the frequent training means it's ingrained in your reflexes, and you do the 'correct' action whatever the circumstances.

Essentially (and most seriously) break falls are there to protect your head and body, by sacrificing limbs if that's what it takes - a broken arm doesn't kill you, but a fractured skull or broken back might.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back