Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need something faster than relays

Status
Not open for further replies.
after a little bit of thinking and testing, maybe it IS working, but I can't figure out a way to test/measure it in an easy way!

Cheers!
Lac.

Nigel 's method is the best thing for you,
for maximum switching speed you should consider schottky diodes...

ahh!! anyone got some links or something about this type of switching? I'm confused.

Thanks!
Lac.

The AC source won't need another diode since it goes through a diode rectifier.

I don't recommend a Schottkey. They can have significant reverse bias leakage current that will go into the battery which may harm a non-rechargeable battery over several months.

Watch how the filter cap works carefully. If there is so much ripple that the cap voltage drops below (battery voltage - 0.7v) at any time, then it will discharge the battery for a moment during every cycle.

Lac said:
after a little bit of thinking and testing, maybe it IS working, but I can't figure out a way to test/measure it in an easy way!

Cheers!
Lac.

Simply connect an ammeter in series with your battery, measure the current on mains (should be zero), and the current on battery - which should be more than zero.

Ammeter, isn't that the tool you use to find out how much current there is left in a battery? And shoulnd't the bettery read zero while the main should read anything above zero? Other way around of what you wrote.

Thanks for help!
Lac.

ammeter tells you how much current is flowing, not how much is left. If you have the device plugged into the wall, battery current should be zero and mains current should be non-zero. If unplugged, mains should be 0 and battery current be non-zero

IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!!

Yay! I connected an ammeter as said, and finally the result was positive! Thanks to all who have helped me out on this one, thank you!

Cheers!
Lac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back