Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need help. Guitar effects pedal mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnowTooLittle

Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to this whole world of electronics. I have little to no experience but I am super interested in learning.
I have taken on a project with guitar effects pedals.
I have a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. The orange one that I'm sure many of you have come across. This pedal had a burnt out diode. It's a N14150. A rectifier diode I believe. Well once I found out what it was that was wrong and started to do research to find the part I found there are a bunch of mods possible for this pedal so I figured why not give it a try.
Then I decided to make an amplifier channel switcher.
After that, I figured well, it might look cool to put both of these independently operated circuits in the same enclosure.
And as I kept making an already increasingly challenging job for an extreme novice more difficult, I thought, hmm, can I add another footswitch that would toggle between the two as opposed to pressing both switches at the same time to toggle between them? (Still operating independently of each other) so basically I can turn off switch 1 and turn on switch 2 immediately by only pressing switch 3 and visa versa.
This is all unnecessary but I feel like it would be fun to have an original looking guitar effects pedal and fun to do the work on it as a way to learn the craft.
My biggest concern though is that by having this toggle switch or a/b switcher, is there any risk to the equipment by connecting all this stuff together? And is there any type of resistors or anything that needs to be put in place because of backfeed or noise or impedance or anything.
(Attatched are 2 pictures of schematics if that helps any.)
Again, extreme novice looking to learn.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• boss-ds1-distortion-pcb.jpg
    boss-ds1-distortion-pcb.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 171
  • footswitchled1.gif
    footswitchled1.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 176
I think something like this (a toggling, latching SPDPT push button switch) will meet your needs (per your description, as I understand it... :cool:).

Stomp on it once and one leg is connected to the center post. Stomp it again and the other leg is connected to the center post.

Here's a latching DPDT switch with a LED indicator.

Thanks guys! One more question though.
Since the device on switch 1 is powered by 9v AC 100mA and the device on switch 2 is not, should that have any bearing on switch 3?

The switches in the links can handle audio signals or 9V AC @100mA happily. Just don't try switching 9V AC into an audio input :).

Thank you. I have such minimal knowledge on this stuff. Just enough to get an idea. An idea that turns into something dangerous. Just enough knowledge to get myself in trouble. Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me out. I'll repost when I either blow it up or finish it. Cheers guys.

Thank you. I have such minimal knowledge on this stuff. Just enough to get an idea. An idea that turns into something dangerous. Just enough knowledge to get myself in trouble. Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me out. I'll repost when I either blow it up or finish it. Cheers guys.

hi

I think this is what your looking for...

or google "stomp switch"

eT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back