Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

i need help building a circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
its now 2.30am arghhhh been in my garage all night to get ready 4 a big xmas ride in the morning. all was ok till the test ride were at higher RPM the light would cut out. its set up as shown below but with 2 diodes on the + just before the bat charger to drop the volts dow and they stay at or about 12V now. could it be that the bike is drawing power back out????? and what should i use to stop this rember i get all my parts from Maplin Electronics â„¢ Website- USB Turntable iTT 05 XL

hi Jim,

Which light cuts out.?
How is the Maplin USB turntable involved in this project.?

Its possible that without the two diodes the 7809 is overheating and is thermally shutting down,[it will recover when it cools down]
you should have an heatsink fitted to the 7809

Last edited:
Sorry don't no why it linked tht iw was ment to be the maplin site. I didn't ues your way in the end I did it the way shown in the first drawing I sent you before you changed it but have run 2 dioeds on the + between the bat and charger. I have a feeling that the bike is drawing the power back when the rpm get high. You were saying befor about uesing somthing outher then a switch to stop this happening. What is it that I shuld use to only allow the power to go in to the battery but not go back in to the bike????

why dont you just use a phone charger that has a usb end on it i believe that outputs a steady 5vdc to charge the phone and you could use it for your purpose aswell

help i need some body, help any body helpppppppppppppppp

Like to help, but you must help us by answering our questions.

Did you fit the diode in series with reg circuits incoming +V line.?
Did you fit the heatsink to the 7809.?
Whats the purpose of the +9V reg , what does it power and the what current required.?
Again, which light went out.?

The circuit I posted should work without any problems, its a well used basic regulator.

Post a full diagram showing the way you have connected the voltage regulator circuit.

Last edited:
sorry. i have not use the voltage regulator circuit in its place i ues 2 diodes and that has droped the voltage to 12V and is fine, the problem is the bike is drawing the power out of battery when the engine is running. **broken link removed**

and it was the HID light that went out.

the battery when fully charged will run the light for at least 45mins. but when the engine is running at high RPM it drains the battery in seconds. i need to use some thing to only allow the flow of current one way in to the battery.

i hope this is a bit clearer

Last edited:
sorry. i have not use the voltage regulator circuit in its place i ues 2 diodes and that has droped the voltage to 12V and is fine, the problem is the bike is drawing the power out of battery when the engine is running.
and it was the HID light that went out.

the battery when fully charged will run the light for at least 45mins. but when the engine is running at high RPM it drains the battery in seconds. i need to use some thing to only allow the flow of current one way in to the battery.

i hope this is a bit clearer

Those two diodes should allow the current to flow into the battery and prevent the battery being drained.!
There must be another path draining the battery.

A point to consider now that you have 2 diodes and only 12V across the battery, the battery will never fully charge.

hi,
Rechecking the circuit I posted previously, I dont see anyway this would not work or give problems.
How much current does the HID kit take.

Attachments

• 9Vreg1gif.gif
    9Vreg1gif.gif
    30.1 KB · Views: 144
hello im sorry for the lack of reply have been so busy this was put on a back burner. the hid kit runs on 12V dc 35wats.

I am going to build what you posted previously. do you know where i can get the right compoanats from? i dont trust maplin to give the right ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back