Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need a music/LED fasher IC (only die)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athosworld

I want to make an extremely cheap product with a speaker and two LEDs, the other components are no problem, but I need an IC that comes in a die form and I want to put a custom song to it, the IC must be a bare die, so I can put it in a Chip On Board assembly.
The IC must not require an oscillator or capacitor, I want to keep the thing as cheap as possible.
How can I send my music to a COB IC manufacturer so it introduces the song in the silicon wafer (custom)?

Quick and dirty way these days is just put it in flash. Thats doable at wafer test.

If you have high volume I am sure a number of vendors would talk to you
on die, TI, Cypress/Infineon, Atmel.....

Regards, Dana.

A song. I need to flash the song called Lonely Goatherd
What is the songs file size/format or sample rate and length in minutes/seconds ?

You can google "embedded song calculator" to get an idea of how much flash you
will need. If you use compression, eg. MP3, you will need decode library.

An MP3 song of nominal 2 - 3 min duration takes ~ 2 - 4 MB of FLASH to store, so that makes
for an expensive part. You would have to compromise on sample rate significantly. But given
you are not driving (I gather) hi fi speakers you could try speech sample rates ( 6 - 10 KSPS)
and see how that sounds.

Assume a sample is a byte, song is 3 minutes, you sample at 6 KSPS then you will need

N bytes = 6000 SPS x 180 secs = 1 MB of FLASH, still a pretty big )and expensive) part.

What are your target die costs ?

Regards, Dana.

What is the songs file size/format or sample rate and length in minutes/seconds ?

You can google "embedded song calculator" to get an idea of how much flash you
will need. If you use compression, eg. MP3, you will need decode library.

An MP3 song of nominal 2 - 3 min duration takes ~ 2 - 4 MB of FLASH to store, so that makes
for an expensive part. You would have to compromise on sample rate significantly. But given
you are not driving (I gather) hi fi speakers you could try speech sample rates ( 6 - 10 KSPS)
and see how that sounds.

Assume a sample is a byte, song is 3 minutes, you sample at 6 KSPS then you will need

N bytes = 6000 SPS x 180 secs = 1 MB of FLASH, still a pretty big )and expensive) part.

What are your target die costs ?

Regards, Dana.
The song is a 10 second loop and in the lowest quality. Raw audio data. (PCM)
Less than 1 USD a die.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a silicon vendor who will have
any interest in these small dice quantities, or a assembler who would
tackle this low a volume.

Good luck, Dana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back