Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I Have Some 8088's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Our school was throwing out some 8088 chips so I decided to snatch 'em. Ive got three rails of AMD 8088-1's and half a rail of Fujitsu 8088-2's. I looked on eBay real quick and they go for $10+ each - is that realistic? Would I be able to get that for them? I didnt think so, because they seem useless, but I figured id ask here since you guys would know. Thanks!

Hey guys. Our school was throwing out some 8088 chips so I decided to snatch 'em. Ive got three rails of AMD 8088-1's and half a rail of Fujitsu 8088-2's. I looked on eBay real quick and they go for $10+ each - is that realistic? Would I be able to get that for them? I didnt think so, because they seem useless, but I figured id ask here since you guys would know. Thanks!

Useless????

There is a smarter little man in there.

**broken link removed**

Stick them on Ebay and see how much you get - they didn't cost you anything, so you've nothing to lose.

Personally I'd have left them in the rubbish :D

But Ebay buyers seem to buy all sorts of old crap.

**broken link removed**

WHAT the - ?

"The little man said, "My name is 8080, who are you?" ... He told me that his father's name was Z80"

No, the 8080 came BEFORE the Z80. Pretending to be teaching you history and they can't even get basic facts from the 1970's correct? Sad.

ParkingLotLust, if you want to PM me, I can probably take *all* of those off your hands. At a reasonable price of course. Or let me know if you are looking to trade something. They may be "rubbish" by today's silicon standards, but there are thousands of pieces of equipment that people are still running that feature the mighty 8088.

WHAT the - ?

"The little man said, "My name is 8080, who are you?" ... He told me that his father's name was Z80"

No, the 8080 came BEFORE the Z80. Pretending to be teaching you history and they can't even get basic facts from the 1970's correct? Sad.

Federico Faggin had the ideas behind the Z80 before working on the 8080. In fact, he left intel to pursue it.

And your point is?.

The Z80 still came out after the 8080.

Nigel,

Edison's work has been argued in this manner: to some, Edison didn't really invent the light bulb until he could demonstrate it.

To most, it was when he conceived of the idea.

Why? Because he was successful.

When I wrote this in the 1990's, I used Z80 as 8080's father because the idea predated 8080.

So you knowingly provided incorrect information on your website? - what's the point of that?.

Nigel,

Let's read closer:

He told me that his father's name was "Z80" and that his father had told him very little about their family history.

It doesn't say a word about production. Z80 is 8080's father because the idea predates 8080.

The Abacus is used because it predates all.

I hate to break it to you, but there is no little man in any of these devices.

It's a piece about ideas.

Hi,

I had built a mini computer board using the 8080 and then later
sometime the Z80 came out. I eventually built a controller board
using the Z80 at 4MHz.
I also had a computer or two running the Z80 as its main processor.
These are all so outdated now.
Im not sure what the argument here is, but if anything should be
anything else's father the 8080 should be the Z80's father.

I was happy about the Z80 because it had more features than the
8080. I never got around to using the 8088 because of the 80186
or was it the 80286 that came out. I later moved to the 80486
which was the daddy to the Pentium.

The 8080's father would be the 4040.

Yes, 4004 was the first so far as I know. 4004 -> 4040 -> 8080. Before the 4004 I think you would have been working with a board full of chips. There might have been a TTL ALU available, I saw one in a databook once.

Whoa. Poor little Z80. Paternity Test needed? My $0.02 is (IIRC) Z80 runs *all* of the 8080 opcode directly from the 8080 binary image if you like. Plus, of course a few new instructions that 8080 doesn't know about. Doesn't that make it Next Generation?

Ted "Walter, it's getting late, I've got better things to do than to have religious discussions with you." Kilpin

Duffy, do you mean something like the 74181? TTL-series 74181 ALU demonstration
Pretty sure good ol' Berzerk used those.

Last edited:
No, Berzerk ran (coincidentally enough) the mighty Z80. IIRC it was using the 74181s to determine if there was a match between where it was drawing the ray-blast and where it was drawing the player character and the robots. Thus quickly generating the "hit" condition. I'd have to dig out the schems to remember for sure though.

And yes, it had all the boards bolted onto a vertical panel that pulled out through a tall narrow door in the front of the game. I really liked that; you could work on the logic set without moving the cabinet around on the floor.

That opto joystick was really something. 10,000 games made, 30,000 joysticks puchased for it (to build with, and to support broken ones in the field). If they'd used a centering spring that was *just* a little stronger, or some hard stops (other than the reflective optos, that is), would've been a great design.

Do you remember the optical joystick that "GORF" had? That one was a nice smooth design as well. Midway overdid it a little on the forward current on the emitter LEDs for that one, so they died before their time too. Simple mistakes that nuked a great concept.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back