Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I cooked and ate this.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh:(. I really must get off my backside and try to cook again.
Some of the stuff you Guys make looks so good....I could eat a picture of it......and be satisfied and full. Never mind the real thing.

Anyway, one thing I can do is braai/barbecue food.....my next plan as it is Winter here and nothing better than a fire outside complete with stuff smelling good and cooking at the same time....

All I must do is purchase the right sized braai to make a fire in. So I don't waste making a huge fire for essentially tops two people.

Regards,
tvtech

Sigh:(. I really must get off my backside and try to cook again.
Some of the stuff you Guys make looks so good....I could eat a picture of it......and be satisfied and full. Never mind the real thing.

Anyway, one thing I can do is braai/barbecue food.....my next plan as it is Winter here and nothing better than a fire outside complete with stuff smelling good and cooking at the same time....

All I must do is purchase the right sized braai to make a fire in. So I don't waste making a huge fire for essentially tops two people.

Regards,
tvtech

On that note when it comes to Bar-B-Que what is with this term BBQ Season? There is no BBQ season. BBQ season begins officially 01 January and runs through 31 December. Real men shovel snow to get to the grill! Personally I also prefer charcoal and soaked wood chips. Mesquite, Hickory and Apple being among my favorites.

Ron

On that note when it comes to Bar-B-Que what is with this term BBQ Season? There is no BBQ season. BBQ season begins officially 01 January and runs through 31 December. Real men shovel snow to get to the grill! Personally I also prefer charcoal and soaked wood chips. Mesquite, Hickory and Apple being among my favorites.

Ron

Will it never stop??? I imagine a steak (rare) and tasty on my imaginary fire on my imaginary braai outside...

No snow here. I am really hungry now. May as well eat the real pizza I bought earlier. Another take away. Real men don't eat take aways....they start fires and....braai???

Getting there soon :p

Cheers Ron,
tvtech

What is braai?

What is braai?

South African grill:

1024px-Braai.JPG

Potato skins.....
What are they?
Cook a jacket (baked) potato 3/4 of the way through, then remove it from the oven.
Scoop out the majority of the potato flesh and return the 'skin' to the oven to crisp up.
Mix the scooped-out flesh with whatever takes your fancy - I've just had Italian garlic sausage and Monterey Jack & Jalapeno cheese, with garlic + herb butter.
Return the scooped-out flesh and new ingredients into the skins and place under the grill, for the remaining time it would have take for the jacket (baked) potato, or until the top starts to brown.
Enjoy with a side-salad, steamed vegetables, or whatever you wish.

Potato skins.....
What are they?
Cook a jacket (baked) potato 3/4 of the way through, then remove it from the oven.
Scoop out the majority of the potato flesh and return the 'skin' to the oven to crisp up.
Mix the scooped-out flesh with whatever takes your fancy - I've just had Italian garlic sausage and Monterey Jack & Jalapeno cheese, with garlic + herb butter.
Return the scooped-out flesh and new ingredients into the skins and place under the grill, for the remaining time it would have take for the jacket (baked) potato, or until the top starts to brown.
Enjoy with a side-salad, steamed vegetables, or whatever you wish.

Yeah, call it potato skins, stuffed potato or twice baked potato but good stuff. I like to start with 4 large baking potatoes, split them and scoop the meat out. Nice thing about these is lots of latitude of what you can put in them. I start with a few eggs, and some sour cream. Then maybe a pound (1/2 kilo) of broken up bacon or ham chunks cubed. Chopped scallion onions and whatever else is laying around and some grated sharp cheddar cheese. Like Mickster said, the cool thing is you can make the stuffing mix however you want. When they are stuffed and go back in the oven I like to sprinkle some reserved grated cheddar cheese on the tops. Maybe some of the crumbled bacon too.

Beef: Finally within a few miles of us we have a new country market that features high quality aged black angus beef. They have the aging process right in front of you. The NY strip steaks and ribeye steaks are to die for. Beef cost is up this year in the US but even at $20 USD per pound this beef is to die for. All my steaks and beef are generally grilled except of course things like a good old fashioned pot roast.

Ron

I did this and it works - make sure your cut on the end is after it begins to slope downward toward the top. If you can squeeze it right out - cut a little more.
Let the corn rest for about 2 minutes use oven mittens they get really hot!!!

As we enter the holiday season and lots of cooking, I decided to resurrect this thread. Thank you, killivolt for finding it.

I have no new dishes to report, but I have been experimenting with a new way (for me) to cook meat. Early in the year, I bought a slow cooker (aka crock pot) and tried a few recipes. Everything tasted the same, much like boiled mystery meat. I monitored temperature with a TC inserted into meat after a few hours at "low" (Fluke 52 K/J thermometer). The temperature was 70° to 80°C (160° to 176°F), so indeed the meat was well done. I then tested cooking the meat on just "warm." Internal temperatures never exceeded 60° to 63°C (140° to 145°F) even after 6 hours. I was satisfied that the most worrisome bacterial pathogens would be significantly reduced or eliminated when held at that temperature for at least an hour (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteurization). My usual preparation includes heating for 5 to 6 hours. I also like the taste fried onions give t beef. My recipe is very simple:

1) 2.5 to 3# beef roast (picture is chuck, sirloin would be more tender)
2) Chopped onions (as needed)
3) Marinade (about 2 to 4 tablespoons) consisting of a 1:1 mixture of soy sauce (Kikkoman) and Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins), 2 cloves crushed garlic, few dashes of pepper sauce (optional)
4) Cheap burgundy wine (1/2 cup, Rossi)

The roaster pan is prepared with a few tablespoons of olive oil and heated until the onions start to sizzle. Meat is salted and peppered to taste, added to the pot, and allowed to sear with the onions -- about 5 min first side and 4 min second side. Onions become somewhat clear during that period. The pot used for searing is cast aluminum from the slow cooker, which minimizes clean-up. It is moved to the slow cooker, marinade added on top, and cooked on warm. After about 4 hours, the wine is added. Temperature is monitored to be sure 55°C is met. The searing and cooking is done with the lid on.

The meat reaches a nice medium-rare color and still tastes like the cut from which it came. I plan to try a rib roast or prime chuck/sirloin for the over the holidays. The color in the picture is not quite accurate. It is actually a bit redder, but not at all bloody.

upload_2014-12-12_11-17-7.png

This is basically a typical roast recipe but with minimal clean-up. My main reason to describe it is to suggest the possibility of cooking on warm, not low. I would not recommend trying it, though, if you cannot monitor the internal temperature of your meat. That is essential until you are comfortable with using the warm setting.

John

Speaking about how to cook something. This time steak.

Brown steak with some oil in an iron skillet on the stove and then transfer the skillet to a 450 degree oven for a few minutes each side.

HI everyone,

i saw this link in a thread thaught id take a look ,

i have to advise everyone here to try bovril on toast, bovril looks like marmite but tastes ALOT better, butter the toast the apply a small amount over it, can people get bovril out of the uk?

once you have tried bovril on toast and fell in love with it, try fried egg(chopped up(i dont know why thistastes better)) on bovril on toast.

Honestly it is the most amazing thing you will ever try!!! feedback once you have tried it is appreciated but i know it will be something along the lines of "wow that was amazing, thanks dale youre the best "

Haha, genuinley though please try it :D

Regards

It appears it is available in Canada: **broken link removed** , even at Walmart. Amazon has the real thing for about $11 USD.

Walmart (USA) doesn't seem to list it. But I will look for the Knorr brand when I go shopping in Cleveland tomorrow.

John

It appears it is available in Canada: **broken link removed** , even at Walmart. Amazon has the real thing for about $11 USD.

Walmart (USA) doesn't seem to list it. But I will look for the Knorr brand when I go shopping in Cleveland tomorrow.

John

I'm doing a Pit Ham this year; I think I'll do a Pineapple version.

kv

Edit: My wife picked up an 11lb ham at her work; I might also do a small turkey or Cornish Hen for my oldest daughter. She doesn't eat Pork. Not a religious thing she just doesn't like it.

Sounds tasty but not an option for vegetarians I think...

Sounds tasty but not an option for vegetarians I think...

Here is one I did last night. I posted it on AAC though and didn't think to post it here.

Tonight got home tired and late. No time to cook; so I look over and see a "Cheesy Potato Soup Mix" given to us by some friends.

Boil 4 1/4 cups water; remove and add package.

Then simmer 18 minutes plus as a special treat (My Idea); pull a bag of Broccoli Cuts out of the freezer and cook in the Micro 7 minutes.

Ok, I was inspired by the holidays. lol

Add Broccoli to a bowl and pour "Cheesy Soup" over the top; Salt and Pepper to taste"

Heart healthy and a good winter feast. Makes a Half Galloon.

kv

Edit: Oh, and if you want it more soupy; just add another 1/2 cup of water. Mine needed it.

Edit: Edit: Tonights Meal since I was off today.

Red Cabbage and Beer Brats served with Mashed Potatoes and Mustard Pickles

https://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sausa...h&event10=1&e7=Home Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

Enjoy;

kv

Last edited:
One of my not-well-kept secrets: I keep bags of cut asparagus, broccoli, artichoke parts, and okra in the freezer. Whenever a veggie similar to that group is called for, I add whatever I feel like eating. I prefer fresh asparagus over frozen, but for the rest it doesn't matter that much. I do like okra, even though I am not from Indiana.

John

Me too; John. I and my wife are the only ones eating.

Unless I'm cooking for the holidays with my kids and grandkids eating; it becomes a feast.

One of these day's I will post my spicy Italian Chicken up here. Finger licking good "Slurp"

kv:)

Ok, so I thought I would also include one of my favorite drinks "Good old fashioned Manhattan"

This "Spicy Italian Chicken" is a little expensive but worth it; plus it's even better re-heated the next day.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/spicy-chicken-recipe.html

It's best to use a large Pan with the thermometer on it I set mine to 350˚F; you know the type. I wish I could have found the video.

My QC a little spanish girl said she seen this recipe on the food network. She verbally told me how to make it. But I think you should have no trouble.

Enjoy,

kv

Edit: Also, when I cut up the thigh I use a knife and cut out the fatty deposits as I remove the skin. Try and get just the meat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back