Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I can now solder 0402 components with ease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

And all it took was a really expensive microscope and a few components worth of practice.

If anyone really wants to get into fine pitch or super small SMT stuff, a microscope is a really really good investment.

I use an old Canon camcorder in Macro mode with a fixed focus on the board and a 19" monitor to watch what I'm doing.

Also a good setup for inspecting tracks and reading the component values on smaller SMD components

How often did you solder your fingers instead of the components? :)

What kind of microscope is this? The ones I see rely on light coming up from the bottom.

I don't have much trouble with 0402 with just reading glasses on, but it's not pretty.

I have this thing for checking work and it's actually awesome for such a cheap lens and the led lighting really works well, but you can't use it while soldering.
**broken link removed**

It's a Leica GZ6 on a boom arm with fiber optic lighting from above. I don't know how much it cost originally but similar brands in the Techni-Tool catalog run anywhere from 1.5K to 4K USD depending on features.

My boss could hardly tell the difference between the resistors/caps I had populated, and the ones our NASA-certified technicians had done. I was kinda proud.

Last edited:
Well, as long as it's as cheap as that, I'll be getting two.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back