Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HV school project

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea it was, but the transformer melted so i use a mains transformer only, 60v out though.

wow...just think about how many lives we save on this forum.
Hundreds of people would have been six feet under by electrocution
if someone didn't tell them it was a BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!! :lol:

zachtheterrible said:
You could use the 555 to drive the flyback tranformer from 12v. I think that's the input to them?

You will probably have to find a really old flyback transformer because the new ones have a protection diode built into them that is impossible to remove and makes it hard to make a jacobs ladder. The older ones diode is really easy to remove.
the old flyback transformers especialy the ones without the biult in high voltage trippler are usefull for high voltage capacitor chargers as i have a few allready and for a jocobs ladder ,the flybacks with biult in high voltage tripplers are ideal for the jacobs ladders as ive allso made a jacobs ladder , and with the right driver circuit got great hot arcs and this is what you need to float these arcs up with

G'day Steven,
Are you the same down-under Steven on the other electronics chat site? :lol:

Yeah Steven,
It is a small world when you are getting hot while I freeze and shovel the snow. I see small animal tracks in the snow each morning. Much too small to be the big skunk I had in summer. Probably a chipmunk. :lol:

The guys overthere in australia dont even have snow.(Not cold enugh)

I hate show.We have it a LOT this year.About half an meter.(Hope there wont be even more)

Someone Electro said:
I hate show.
Hee, hee. :lol: You're watching the wrong show. :lol:
When it is snowing, I watch TV shows with pretty girls on the beach! :lol: :lol:

Someone Electro said:
The guys overthere in australia dont even have snow.(Not cold enugh)

I hate show.We have it a LOT this year.About half an meter.(Hope there wont be even more)
we get snow in the blue mountains in the east of australia and in victoria australia

Up here, we go south to get warm. Down there, everthing is upside down and you go north to get warm. :lol:

hi, i have kit from jaycar that is for a jacobs ladder it uses a 555 sorry i don't have a diagram but here's a pic of it. it uses a single car ignition coil and at 12 volt 4 amp it makes sparks about 1.5cm:D. although i haven't managed to get the arc to climb succesfully it still makes a good spark for frying circuit boards:D. it hurts:eek:.
i have a feeling that the spark isn't hot enough to rise:(. new.JPG

I haven't read the whole thread in detail.

Connecting a mains transformer up in reverse will work but connecting another mains transformer to the output won't. The low voltage coil is designed to operate from a maximum of the rated voltage so it will just smoke if it's connected to the mains voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back