Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Huntron Tracker 2000 HTR 1005B , testing for shorts and components

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Octopus is limited to my opinion why because

The Huntron has 3 different test signals AC waveforms 60hz, 400hz, 2000hz

It also has 4 different ranges from 10volts to 30 volts

It also has a Pulse generator to set transistors , FETS, Triacs, SCR

You can track down shorts on busses, IC vcc to ground , etc

The thing about curve tracers is that they have a built in step generator

But there is still no Measurement Markers to measure the current value and the voltage value, I like having those measurement markers like what DSO have and Digital O-scopes

Curve tracers don't have those , so it's just a visual tool , just like the huntron has no measurement markers either

I don't really have to build an O-scope Octopus

I can use a Variac and set it to 6.3 volts or 10 volts and hook up probes to it

Or I can use a Function generator and set it to Sinewave , set the voltage to 10 volts if it can go that high

That was a damn good video and the guy doing it kept things nice and simple. Yes, he also showed a very basic and simple octopus. Yes, you can do that and I suggest you do it. Literally a few bucks for a cool learning tool. Like the video mentions the octopus has been around for decades. Then one day these Huntron Trackers began showing up on the block. The Huntron Tracker is no more than an octopus in a box with a display. The Octopus was just a "gizmo" and like any gizmo there was room for modification and improvement. This is why when you look at octopus circuits online there are so many variations out there.

Can't I just use a AC power supply, 6.3 VAC output and a series resistor 47K or 50K ohms to make an octopus

Absolutely you can. Just like the one shown in the video. I suggest you go ahead and make one and then look at the signatures you get playing around with the thing.

Oh yeah, the guy mentions capacitors in the video and comments about frequency briefly. You asked I believe why other frequencies? Bingo! Just some of those improvements to the basic design I mentioned earlier. Anyway a 60 Hz 6.3 Volt filament transformer will do fine for a start.

Ron

I don't really have to build an O-scope Octopus

I can use a Variac and set it to 6.3 volts or 10 volts and hook up probes to it

Or I can use a Function generator and set it to Sinewave , set the voltage to 10 volts if it can go that high

I was typing when you posted this. Yes, a variac will work. Just remember a variac does not provide AC Line isolation. I would not go that route.

The problem with a function generator is they usually don't have any drive current. You can try it but I doubt it will work. If you have an old audio oscillator like the old HP 200 CD they will work but they were beast with plenty of drive current out.

Ron

Just remember a variac does not provide AC Line isolation. I would not go that route.

The problem with a function generator is they usually don't have any drive current.

True I didn't think about that stuff, thanks Ron

The Huntron is not fixed at 6.3 volts, it has 10volts to 30 volts plus 3 different test freq.

The ranges of voltage does make a big difference when testing components and for shorts or opens

The test frequencys are for capacitors and inductors

The octopus is an AC unregulated waveform , no filtering , it's not a clean AC waveform

The Huntron is AC regulated clean waveform , so you don't get any irregular signature shapes

The octopus would , don't u think?

Thinking it through, NO don't use a variac. You need the floated and isolated ground. Unless the signal source has a floated ground that likely won't work either. Filament transformers (6.3 Volt) are a dime a dozen so I would take that road.

Ron

The octopus is an AC unregulated waveform , no filtering , it's not a clean AC waveform

The Huntron is AC regulated clean waveform , so you don't get any irregular signature shapes

The octopus would , don't u think?

Any noise on the AC line will be insignificant. The merit to the Huntron is features, like you said, higher and variable voltage, and added frequencies. I am simply saying that an octopus can be tossed together in short time using junk parts most guys have laying around. Then too, unless you have a scope at home then by all means use the tools your work provides at work.

Ron

With any signature-based analysis, you really have to compare against a known good unit.

The whole point is to inject signals that don't damage what your testing.

with a curve tracer, you still can't measure current and voltage using markers

It's just a visual tool to see the signatures

Can't I just use a AC power supply, 6.3 VAC output and a series resistor 47K or 50K ohms to make an octopus

The AC power supply has current limiting

You set you O-scope to X and Y , two channels

Yes, as long as the 6.3 volt AC is line isolated. The current limiting is done by the resistor in there (47K).

Take a look at this which is the most basic and what was shown in the video:

Octopus CKT.png

Note where the common ground is.

Ron

with a curve tracer, you still can't measure current and voltage using markers

It's just a visual tool to see the signatures

A curve tracer does much. much more. With a curve tracer I can bias transistors, have a wide, wide range of voltages and current as well as compare two transistors side by side for matching their characteristics on a good curve tracer. What it comes down to is an octopus or Huntron Tracker is a long way from really being a curve tracer unless we want to call them a very, very poor mans curve tracer. :)

With a good curve tracer you absolutely can accurately measure voltages and currents including base bias currents of transistors. You can also change things like load resistors on transistors and actually look at gain. All of this done accurately. Take a look at the old Tektronix 576 or 575 Curve Tracers.

Ron

We have these EMI filters , they look like metal radical capacitors at work

It's weird how to test them, if you test the EMI filter using the legs/leads it will test as a SHORT

But if you put a probe on the METAL casing of the EMI filter and use the other probe you will get to test the EMI filter this way

Also at work they use the METAL can IC packages, Why would they want to use the Metal can IC packages VS a Dual in-line package?

To Test for SHORTs , My manager put his Probe on the METAL CAN and the other probe on the leg/lead and tested each leg/lead referenced to the METAL can body

What kind of test is this called please?

Why would there be shorts to the Metal can's body of the transistor or IC op amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back