Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Humongous Op-Amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
So it never occured to me that there existed ginormous op-amps that are capable of driving motors since all I have ever seen are the little IC things that amplify mA signals. I was looking at a link for a motor controller IC that someone asked about on the forum and their example circuit and it just had this measly little op-amp on the circuit driving what I assumed to be a motor. So I looked up this op-amp and it was huge! 10A! And then I looked into it more and found humongous 50A+ op-amps. I guess it never occured to me that people would scale up the op-amps I normally see to do these things.

I also found switching amplifiers which were pretty basic (just an H-bridge with drivers all mounted into one nice neat package)- those I understand. But I didn't know they had "linear" op-amplifiers that handled currents so high. Don't they dissipate tons of heat? Or do I need to brush up on my transistor knowledge?

I don't work with audio or anything like that- just robotics so I assume I would have run into these much sooner if I did. I guess they're just called "amplifiers" now instead of op-amps. I guess you would need them in things like really big speakers where you can't just switch on and off a transistor really fast...lol...Well I guess that's what a switching amplifier is isn't it? I guess there was a time when it was all analog and linear and not so much high frequency switching. I can't quite understand how a switching a signal on and off really fast can make something like DVD-quality sound though, but there's probably more to the system than that and some inductiveness going on to average out the voltage like in a motor, or some other mechanism. EDIT: Low-pass filter is the word I'm looking for.

But using an op-amp to drive a motor <-----blows my mind

I didn't know that switching amplifiers (well I didn't even know such things existed, or at least were considered amplifiers) were basically glorified H-bridges.

They don't seem to be cheap though. Well at least the ones from Apex are each $500+ even from the 150mA ones to the 50A op-amps or "linear amplifiers". Then again, the 150mA can run at 900V which is something you don't see in little IC op-amps. Still, expensive. The PWM amplifiers also cost the same. I could do the same thing for $20 with some transistors but it would probably only work for something like motors and not something where signal quality is needed like audio.

Last edited:
dknguyen said:
I also found switching amplifiers which were pretty basic (just an H-bridge with drivers all mounted into one nice neat package)- those I understand. But I didn't know they had "linear" op-amplifiers that handled currents so high. Don't they dissipate tons of heat? Or do I need to brush up on my transistor knowledge?
It's probably using class D amplification, nothing special.

Philbrick corp made tube op-amps back in the 50s. Apex makes pretty high powered opamps today.

Analog said:
Philbrick corp made tube op-amps back in the 50s.

That's when opamps date from, they were used in analogue computers (which is where the name 'operational' comes from) - it's really only the development of cheap IC ones which made them a standard electronic component.

Nigel Goodwin said:
You should bear in mind, most audio amplifiers are essentially just a high power discrete opamp!.
Indeed, I don't see the point in buying a big op-amp when an audio amplifier IC connected to a small op-amp will do the trick.

Hero999 said:
Indeed, I don't see the point in buying a big op-amp when an audio amplifier IC connected to a small op-amp will do the trick.

Except you already have!, your audio amplifier IC is a 'big opamp' - although often limited in some way.

It depends on the particular amplifier, often they don't give you all the connections you need externally - in particular the gain is often preset internally, with only minimal changes possible.

The gain would also be restricted to 20 because the capicitor that's normally used to boost the gain won't work at DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back