Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

humming from speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkless

I just connected my stero amplifier to my plasma using the plasma's 'Audio out' connection, obviously to get the TV's sound through my amp & good speakers. It worked but the trouble is there is now a loud humming sound comming from the speakers. I had my old tube TV hooked up this way with no problem a few years back, using the same amp & speakers and there was no humming.
Can anyone suggest what might be causing the humming?

Google "ground loop" and "ground loop isolator"

You can start with:

(a) The plasma and the receiver are plugged into the same surge strip.
(b) There is a lightning arrestor in the surge strip and the tv/cable "antenna" wire goes through it.
(c) The third prong in the surge strip is present, and it is plugged into a properly grounded outlet.

There's a lot more, and Google can get you more, or you can come back here. Bring photos if you can, they help a lot. The ideal photo is about 600 x 400.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help.
Since posting the question I did some experimenting.
I hooked up a different amp & there was no humming.
So I took apart the problem amp, vacuumed out all the dust and more importantly
I cleaned up the internal earthing connection.
Guess what, that fixed the problem.
Cheap n easy.

Good work! Sometimes reversing the AC plug (insert it upside down) helps to reduce hum. Perhaps you also did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back