Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HP Pavilion 516x has leaked capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin Josh's computer has a problem with it saying something about the fan, i notice that the leaked capacitors are by the cpu fan connector making me think the capacitors are causing the error.
Figure 1. where the leaked capacitors are.

**broken link removed**

I don't know if the fan is the problem because i hooked it to a 12 volt power supply and it stayed on the whole time. Another thing the error happends most of the time and sometimes the error does not show up.

The error that comes up is:

Error : CPU Fan Failed!

Have System Serviced immediately!
Press <F2> to continue boot.
Otherwise system will power down in 5 seconds.

it does start xp and works fine, but that error is annoying!
Soldering capacitors to the board will be hard since theres hardly any pads there onthe motherboard. Thoose capacitors are 1500µF and theres 8 of them.
Any ideas to fix this problem would be helpfull.

Thanks,
Justin Roeder

Replace the capacitors with high quality, 105 degree, low-ESR ones, not the cheap junk ones used in the first place.

It's a common problem, there was a HUGE quantity of capacitors manufactured using pirated faulty electrolyte a few years back.

Yes those will do but make sure the pin spacing and dimensions are right for your motherboard.

Those illinois CKH caps are only general purpose 105'c caps that spec ESR at 120 Hz, not 100Khz and have no where low enough of ESR for a motherboard nor high enough ripple current.

You need to get the series number off the original cap (2 or 3 letter code), try and get the manufacturer datasheet and match the electrical specs and physical dimensions since they are jammed in there pretty tight

cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back