Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What killed my 3d printer controller

Hi

So I had a short circuit accident whilst servicing my 3d printer. This killed the MOSFET controlling the heated bed. Hence I needed to reconfigure the firmware to send the on signal to a different pin then wire it to an external SSR.

So the SSR is opto isolated. It uses 4n35 in a dip package. There was two inputs on the controller side. So I hooked it up to an input confusingly labelled + - bed. I would expected to be labelled signal. But nvm.

I have checked the input labelled bed isn't connected to the much better terminals on the other side as this would send 13v to the CPU. I know it doesn't appreciate it.

However when I turned everything on nothing happened. The led on the bed didn't light up.
I then checked to see if the input had volts on it. Because maybe I configured the firmware wrong or plugged it into the wrong pin.

But as soon as I pushed my the probes across the the input terminals, the bed led lit up but when I removed my probes it went away. I continued to repeat this because I thought I was going crazy. It the was round about then, the web interface lost connection to the controller.

Today whilst replacing the controller, I discovered the controller had cracked solder joints on both the vin positive and negative. I suspect that's why it turned on when pushed down with my probes. So could the on and off action fried my CPU?

So could the on and off action fried my CPU?
More likely it's damaged a voltage regulator.

It should have connectors with 5V and/or 3.3V out - see if you are getting the correct voltage there, after resoldering the power connectors?

What make & model of controller is it?

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back