Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HP LAPTOP WITH DELL POWER SUPPLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dricus

Please... to all members of this Forum... my name is Dricus and im a absolute toddler when it comes to knowledge of electronics... but im also very practical and like making things work that stopped... and to use odd ways in doing so..

So.. Hp Laptop. power supply should produce 19.5 v with 2.25 Amps

but i have been relieved of that power supply by some unknown character... now i only have a dell power supply that produces 19.5 v with 3.36 Amps...

swapped the tips around and now the Laptop flashes.... telling me that its not getting sufficient power.

and yes, i know about the blue wire on dell tip is for another purpose. . so i used the + - of the dell tip and gave it direct earth from the lead before the power supply.

any help, ,?

Welcome to the board.

When I read your post, I thought...hmmm you must be doing something wrong because using a power supply that has the correct voltage (and plug with the correct polarity) but has a slightly higher amperage rating should work just fine. Particularly since both should have reasonably similar regulation as they are both for laptops.

So, first I thought...check the polarity...is your laptop fried...is your laptop battery fried...that sort of thing.

Then I looked into this "third wire" buisness....https://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/inside-dell-ac-power-adapter-mystery-revealed
but I still don't know why you would even need to mess with it at all since the HP should, at least theoretically, not use it at all - especially if it is not making contact on the HP - right?

It is not much, but I guess all I have is to tell you to find someone with a decent bench supply, or the appropriate HP supply (aren't they ~$15?), and see if it will boot. That would at least point you in the right direction.

Laptops use the 3rd wire to read an ID chip in the charger. If it's not an "approved" charger, the laptop will not charge. Doesn't matter if it's the correct voltage and ample current – if the ID isn't something it likes or there is no ID, no charging will occur.

Why do manufacturers do this? To "protect" consumers of course....or perhaps their profits.

Laptops use the 3rd wire to read an ID chip in the charger. If it's not an "approved" charger, the laptop will not charge. Doesn't matter if it's the correct voltage and ample current – if the ID isn't something it likes or there is no ID, no charging will occur.

Yes, that "ID chip issue" is not in dispute and was explained in the link that I posted and the OP also mentions it.

The point is that his HP laptop, apparently, does not use an ID chip and does not need a power supply with that ID from the DS chip. You see, it is the DELL laptop that uses the communication with the ID chip. The HP laptop does not need communication with the ID chip.

The point is that his HP laptop, apparently, does not use an ID chip and does not need a power supply with that ID from the DS chip. You see, it is the DELL laptop that uses the communication with the ID chip. The HP laptop does not need communication with the ID chip.

Based on what information do you conclude the HP does not read the ID of power supply? I have dealt with this issue on an HP laptop in the past.

Dricus, I'm sorry your first experience of ETO has been reduced to a display of such childish behaviour. Most of the members here are extremely helpful and mature.

I can tell you from experience that HP chargers don't appear to be useful for anything except HP laptops, so it's no surprise if the opposite is also true. Dell appear to more tolerant of non-Dell chargers. You will get warnings and it might not charge the battery, but at least it is likely to run. However, since you have an HP laptop this doesn't help you.

It's a very long shot, but if you can borrow an HP charger briefly, it might be worth looking into your laptop's bios to see if it's possible to make it accept a non-HP charger that way.

Not directly useful information for you but someone might be able to use it: Dell chargers have a Dallas 1 wire chip inside which contains the ID of the charger. The Dallas 1 wire bus is a simple protocol which is useful for that kind of data. It is this chip which is connected to the 3rd wire in the power connector. I assume HP use something similar since they have the same type of plug, obviously they are more rigorous with enforcing it.

If you are based in the UK I might be able to send you a HP charger. I have few I rescued from the scrap pile when doing corporate (well, government) upgrades a few years ago. It might be under-powered but should still charge the battery. PM me if interested, they are just taking up space.

Oh I just read what I wrote - I can't resist this one: Some of the members here are extremely mature, and helpful!

I must confess I did tune out when the mud-slinging started, if only because it makes it hard to follow the relevant parts. I have a very low tolerance of people. Somehow though, I still fail at misanthropy.

Anyway, I decided to just throw in what I know in the hope of it being useful. I eventually followed the link and found myself echoed, but left it in anyway.

I find a couple of mysteries here though. Dirac refers to "swapped the tips around" and also to "the blue wire". So this raises the question of exactly what is being referred to here. Did he/she actually cut the wire and change connections? Or is the Dell connector one of the Dell-special funny shaped ones, so he/she got a standard one from somewhere and connected that instead? In either case it could be a simple case of mis-wiring. Or is some kind of adapter being referred to here? I've seen one before which turned a normal 3 wire connector into a 2 wire connector. All the HP PSU's I have are the 3 wire type, but I do know they also make (or used to make) laptops with a 2 wire supply.

Too many unknowns.

Come on guys, play nicely.

I have deleted the argumentative posts, can we carry on in a civilised manner now please?

JimB

Come on guys, play nicely.

I have deleted the argumentative posts, can we carry on in a civilised manner now please?

JimB

OK, I will strive to carry on in a cromulent manner at all times and not make anyone cry with my harsh words.

HAHA. listen here guys... i like a good" kak hap " just as much as the rest
.. taking and giving.

back to the charger.

i got it sorted out. for some stupid reason...i thought that a laptop needs an earth...
due to the fact that this dell charger has a three point plug it uses.. so i figured...

negative on the outside of the plug.

and positive on the in side layer of the plug..

that left me with an attachment place left on the centre pin...

so i attached the earth to the middle pin, as i was sure that the pos + neg was in ots correct places...

it turns out the centre point also needs a possative...
so i chuck the earth and bridged the pos.... and bobs your uncle and joes your aunt. works perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back