Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use this LCR meter (HC z216) ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGAmodz

Hi everyone .

Its about an LCR meter , sadly i have not found any user manual for it to see the specs .

This device is a bench top device used to measure RLC circuits in both configurations series and parallel .

How do i measure each component separately or with one of the two configurations ?

But any ways i will give a small description of the front controls :

Starting from the left i got the :

Power button section ,
RANGE section (up/down/auto/manu),
C-OFFSET function section ,
FUNCTION section ( C/D - L/D - R ) ,
GUARD input ,
UNKNOWN section this one got 4 inputs each 2 connected by a metallic shunt ( L-CUR with L-POT & H-POT with H-CUR ) .

For the displays , there is two : one for component value , and the other named D witch i don't know what is displaying .

Here is some pictures :

2405543E524F82E1079D38
2358E53E524F82E1182FFD

Last edited:
Unable to zoom into pictures. What is name brand and model?

In general, an LCR meter will measure either capacitance (C, in uF or pF usually), inductance (L in microhenry or millihenries usually) or resistance (R, on ohms or Kohms usually). You select which one using the FUNCTION button. There are two displays on your meter. This is because when you measure inductance or capacitance, you sometimes also want to know the D or Dissipation Factor. Dissipation Factor is equal to the real part of the impedance divided by the reactance of the test subject. D is commonly used with capacitors, and Q which equals 1/D is used with inductors. Measurement of D is a way of checking if the capacitor is bad. If you measure a very small value of D in a capacitor, it is fine, but a large D is usually an indication that the capacitor is bad. You can sometimes measure a good C and a bad D at the same time and in this case the capacitor is still bad. Measurement of D for an inductor tells you the Q and so tells you how lossy your inductor is. An inductor is not really "bad" when it has higher Q, it is just different than one with lower Q and we pick and choose the Q we want for the circuit application.

This may be useful:

**broken link removed**

With your meter, you would attach the device under test to the two inner blue terminals. Leave the shorting bars where they are. Press the function button for L, C or R and note the results shown. If you don't get a result, try leaving the Range button on Auto. Its pretty simple really.

Hi , i measured a 68 uf 400v cap , and i read , 56 uf , D = 1.1 . is this considered a bad cap ?

edit : i have found on the web site an equation that permits to measure ESR :
D = ESR *2*Pi*f*C
So ESR = D/2pifC
But the problem i don't know what frequency was applied by the LCR meter when measuring C and D

Last edited:
General purpose electrolytic caps typically have a tolerance +/- 20%, so 56uF would be just inside of that limit.

D probably refers to dissipation factor. Google "dissipation factor" for more info.

You missed the circuit mode indicator. Most LCR meters have a OPEN/SHORT test where the lead parasitics are nulled out, It is advisable to use the shortest leads you have: 6" or so.

Now the offset looks like a screwdriver adjust, Dunno if it's done with shorted or open leads.

Now, this thing is somewhat designed to use Kelvin clips. Probably for your purposes, you can use 2 short leads.

It may operate at a single frequency.

I can only assume that it's test signal will show up on the test terminals. So you should be able to put a scope probe across them and see what frequency it's running at.

Every bridge provides a real part and an imaginary part. The capacitance bit or the inductance bit is easy to understand. However, it is important to understand whether the result is shown as an equivalent series circuit or an equivalent parallel circuit.
I just forget the actual definition of 'Dissipation factor' but it generally is related to tan delta and is a frequency dependent parameter. So to get equivalent series (or parallel) resistance, you need to do some calculations.
For an equivalent series circuit, there is a problem zeroing a 'C in series with R' because at zero R you need infinite C. But you have a meter which is a bit different to a bridge.
Try to get the handbook. The things are surprisingly useful; in fact mandatory for proper use of the instrument.

Every bridge provides a real part and an imaginary part. The capacitance bit or the inductance bit is easy to understand. However, it is important to understand whether the result is shown as an equivalent series circuit or an equivalent parallel circuit.
I just forget the actual definition of 'Dissipation factor' but it generally is related to tan delta and is a frequency dependent parameter. So to get equivalent series (or parallel) resistance, you need to do some calculations.
For an equivalent series circuit, there is a problem zeroing a 'C in series with R' because at zero R you need infinite C. But you have a meter which is a bit different to a bridge.
Try to get the handbook. The things are surprisingly useful; in fact mandatory for proper use of the instrument.

Hi rumpfy , this one is an old Korean instrument , its a 80s model , and i don't find anywhere on the net a user manual for it unfortunately .

I have done a bunch of tests with it on many capacitors ( electrolytic and non-polarized ones too ) , and when i test them i have the results in SERIES and in PARALLEL too .

Last edited:
I did a google and found this:
www.gigatest.net/hungchang/protek-z9216.htm

Seems to be something like what you have. See if you can get a manual. It will most likely give you heaps of info about 'how to measure' and how to decipher the readings.
The unit seems to be a later design with more features. To me this doesn't matter. What you need is the principles of operation/range selection decision/result interpretation.

Simply put, D is the tan of the ratio : real part / imaginary part. An electrolytic capacitor has a high D (lossy). The real part is quite high in relation to the reactive part. For a polystyrene capacitor, this type has a very low D. (real part is almost zero ohms or infinite shunt resistance).
hope this helps.

Yes , at least i will learn about the series and parallel measurement Technics ; but currently am using this device mainly for checking low capacitance capacitors as part of my electronic cards troubleshooting .

Am sure i'll be using it a lot while studying RLC circuits .

Good luck on that manual. Chung Hang likely makes that instrument (and many other types and models) for as many different venders. If the manual is written in English, it will have questionable translation. That's the problem with buying new inexpensive Asian stuff vs. older used stuff from the western side of the world. Be prepared to scour ebay and other sources for LOOK-ALIKE instruments for an equivalent manual.

Good luck on that manual. Chung Hang likely makes that instrument (and many other types and models) for as many different venders. If the manual is written in English, it will have questionable translation. That's the problem with buying new inexpensive Asian stuff vs. older used stuff from the western side of the world. Be prepared to scour ebay and other sources for LOOK-ALIKE instruments for an equivalent manual.

If i find an equivalent manual it would be a nice plus , but now i find it easy to use .

BTW the brand is HUNG CHANG , now they changed their marketing approach and they changed their name for GS instruments after merging the original brand with GS teletech and they are now mainly focusing on telecommunication equipment manufacturing .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back