Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to type greek letters

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi agu,
Click the Omega symbol in the Top row, then click from the bottom row symbols. μ ηθ
E

Attachments

• A01.gif
    A01.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 229
:woot::smug:❤️ This is Greek to me . ‍‍‍ .

I do not have a Greek keyboard. If I press Control and z or v then I get the words "Omega symbol" in Microsoft Paint text. No Greek letters.

it's not the keyboard but rather the font and key code libraries as well as this website's menu.
It's included in all of Windows. Where's the beef?

Hi,

Unicode supports most of the world's languages, however not every application will support Unicode.
You can still get some Greek codes using ctrl-alt-del codes even in older applications as long as they use a font that contains them, and it doesnt have to be Unicode.

How do I get Greek letters from my American keyboard?
One universal way to get the off-keyboard characters in Windows is to use 'Character Map' which can be found at, Windows Accessories> Character Map.
I put a shortcut to Character Map on the lower task bar.
I can't remember exactly how, but I think you can add any of the Unicode character sets to the font libraries on your computer.

To use any character displayed by Character Map you simply click on the character, click on 'Select', and click on 'Copy'. The selected character will then be in your PC's clipboard so that you can paste the selected character into your document using Ctrl +'v'.

If you enable 'Advanced View' you can search for a particular character by name.

spec

2016_07_30_!ss1_CARACTER_MAP.png

Last edited:
I do not need to write the Greek letters for Ohm or for Micro since I cannot find them on my pc.

I do not need to write the Greek letters for Ohm or for Micro since I cannot find them on my pc.
Can you explain what you mean ag?

Ω and µ are almost certainly on your PC

spec

Most of the symbols on my keyboard are mangled because of my fingernails. But none of my keys show Greek alphabet letters. When I pressed Ctrl and v then instead of the Greek letter for Omega I got two words: (but not when typing here, it occurs in Paint writing as " "). Wait a minute, yesterday it typed the two words but today it does nothing.

Just now I downloaded the Greek keyboard into my Windows 10 but I do not know how to activate only a few symbols.

Most of the symbols on my keyboard are mangled because of my fingernails.
Do you mean that the legend on you keyboard have been scratched off by your fingernails?

But none of my keys show Greek alphabet letters.
If you have a US keyboard it will not show Greek letters on the keys of your keyboard.

When I pressed Ctrl and v then instead of the Greek letter for Omega I got two words: (but not when typing here, it occurs in Paint writing as " "). Wait a minute, yesterday it typed the two words but today it does nothing.
Are you talking about using the character map as I suggested

Just now I downloaded the Greek keyboard into my Windows 10 but I do not know how to activate only a few symbols.
What do you mean by Greek keyboard? Are you using a touch sensitive screen?

spec

There are many more ways to type and character of any language (e.g. Win8)
[win]+[r] (=run)
charmap [enter] then click vertical on right down a few pages
or tick ADVANCED > in popup box Select >group by >scroll down>Greek<<
type sigma then search
upload_2016-7-30_22-20-52.png

but its much easier using the limited characters in the ETO toolbar

µ Hold ALT and using numeric keypad with NUMLOCK on
type 230 then release ALT
µ

þÞÚÛÙýݯ´±‗¾¶§÷¸°¨·¹³²■
I"m using Win8
https://www.johndcook.com/blog/2008/08/17/three-ways-to-enter-unicode-characters-in-windows/

There are a few complications with using the numeric keypad to enter the character codes.
(1) You need to know the character code in advance
(2) On some PCs there is no separate keypad so the keypad is mapped on to some alpha keys on the right which makes the numeric keypad difficult to use
(3) There are two Alt keys, left and right, and on some PCs and they have different functions, my Lenovo T520 for example. I can't remember at the moment what the difference is, but you cannot use the right Alt key for entering character codes.
(4) Turning Num Lock on and off can be a bit convoluted on some PCs. On the Lenovo T520 laptop you have to press Fn and ScrLk and then there is no indication on the keyboard that number lock is enabled.
(It further complicates the issue that my T520 has a US keyboard and Win10 is configured for English UK.)

I would love to meet the people who design keyboards and man machine interfaces in general: they must have a sense of humor.:eek:
Smartphones are a complete nightmare in this respect and even my electric pump to inflate the automobile car tires has a convoluted sequence of button presses.

spec

Last edited:
I usually go to Google and type in what I'm looking for ("theta symbol", "mu symbol", "omega symbol", etc). I then copy and paste wherever I need it. It has absolutely nothing to do with what keyboard you have.

I usually go to Google and type in what I'm looking for ("theta symbol", "mu symbol", "omega symbol", etc). I then copy and paste wherever I need it. It has absolutely nothing to do with what keyboard you have.
alternative> run >CHARMAP
type theta >search> click the symbol θᶿϴϑΘ you want > copy> then paste here (Ctrl+V)
θ

alternative> run >CHARMAP
type theta >search> click the symbol θᶿϴϑΘ you want > copy> then paste here (Ctrl+V)
θ

I never knew that! Thanks!

WinXP SP3 here.

I got this Ω from MS Word (insert symbol - basic Greek). Once inserted I did copy and pasted here.

For the forum I click on the Ω above and select the letter if available, as suggested by Eric.

Inside Word you type de 4 digits code followed by Alt+X.

Excerpt for AG.png

I would love to meet the people who design keyboards and man machine interfaces in general: they must have a sense of humor.:eek:

Let's admit spec that with the task at hand, also lot of patience and imagination.

Still working with crews/ships of any (almost) nationality you could mention, it is amazing to me, to see MS documents, and PCs in general going in two different languages (usually one is English of some kind). Just one for example, in Chinese you have options. Go figure.

Had Unicode existed many years before, this thread would not exist. And then, manufacturers so proud of their own "standards"...! They managed to ruin in style and quite early, one of the most standard things; the TAB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back