Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to turn OFF backlight LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_1

I got an LCD with backlight provided by 15V LED. If users leave the LED turned ON for long time, it will shorten the life of the LCD.
I would like to be able to turn OFF the backlight LED after some 5 minutes of non-use.
But I do not have good idea how to do it.

How to use the PIC to control 15V line going to the LCD, and turn it ON/OFF?
If someone has any idea please let me know.

Thanks.

You should be able to set the Power management of your display screen so that the display goes off after so many minutes.
Power management is built into most laptops , netbooks and desktops.

Last edited:
Use of the back light will not shorten the life of the LCD. It's a light behind the LCD. Does the use of your light at home shorten the life of your windows ?

He probably included the LED backlight as part of the LCD unit when he referred to shortening the life of the LCD there; that's being a little picky rmn_tech. As far as I'm aware though, LEDs generally have very long lives. Turning off the backlight would certainly be useful to conserve power, but I don't think you'd need to worry too much about wearing out the LED.

Last edited:
What kind of LCD is it? Computer monitor, dot matrix etc?!

If it's a computer monitor, turning off the backlight automatically can be done thru Windows, if it's a external LCD usually they have a separate pin for the backlight, you would just have to switch that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back