Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to test RAM module?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starLED

My ACER notebook (Windows 10) is randomly crashing with a BSOD that says memory management error.
It has eMMC 32GB with a 2GB factory RAM.
I installed in 2019 additional 4GB of DDR3L RAM stick, and computer worked faster and better until now.
I did a memory diagnostics and it found hardware issues.
I removed RAM stick and re-runed memory diagnostics and it found no problems.
So, it seems like it's a faulty RAM stick.
Can I test RAM stick with a multimeter?
RAM stick is still under warranty (KINGSTON warranty 10 years), and I would like to know for sure if it's a RAM stick issue or a motherboard issue.
Thanks.

You cannot test dynamic RAM other than in a system designed to work with it. They need multiple high frequency logic signals with very critical timing, to do anything at all.

Get "Memtest86" (or Memtest86+, an alternate version by a different author) and install it on a USB stick, or a CD/DVD, if you have an optical drive.

Boot the computer from that & it runs a detailed diagnostic on the memory and system in general, without using the operating system. It can tell you the exact memory addresses that fail, if there is a problem.

If it only fails with one specific memory module installed, then that's pretty much guaranteed to be faulty.

Assuming you got the right kind of ram (they are specific for certain laptops), I would just send it back for warranty replacement. Kingston will test it, and if defective, replace it. If they find nothing wrong with it, they will send it back.
You have to make sure the 4GB stick matches the timing and voltages of the original 2GB ram. Most online sites that sell ram, like Crucial.com, will have a tool to find the correct ram for your machine.

It is the right kind of RAM, it worked flawlessly for 3 years.
OK, so the only thing to do is run MemTest86.
Will do.

I have completed RAM testing with MemTest86, and it did found an error.
First, I was testing with no RAM stick inserted, and no errors were found.
Next, I tested with a RAM stick inserted, and more then 20 errors were found:
[MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 5, CPU: 1, Address: 1EB10D2EC, Expected: 2EDCB99A, Actual: 2EDCB998
[MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 5, CPU: 1, Address: 1EB10D2EC, Expected: 53E54017, Actual: 53E54015
[MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 5, CPU: 1, Address: 1EB10D2EC, Expected: A9C1FA7E, Actual: A9C1FA7C
[MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 7, CPU: 1, Address: 1EB10D2EC, Expected: 00000002, Actual: 00000000
[MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 7, CPU: 1, Address: 1EB10D2EC, Expected: BFFFFFFF, Actual: BFFFFFFD
[MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 8, CPU: 1, Address: 1EB10D2EC, Expected: 0BE42856, Actual: 0BE42854
[MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 8, CPU: 1, Address: 1EB10D2EC, Expected: 92CD023E, Actual: 92CD023C
[MEM ERROR - Data] Test: 8, CPU: 1, Address: 1EB10D2EC, Expected: 39C8167F, Actual: 39C8167D

At the end it showed me something like lowest address error found 1EB10D2EC (7528 MB)

Does this mean that RAM stick is faulty?

Pretty clear same address in RAM has a double bit error.

Cause could be stick, or marginal power supply internal. How old is
LapTop ? Also could be solder joint on motherboard. Make sure
connector clean for RAM on motherboard. Use magnifying glass
to examine.

Do other RAM addresses report errors as well ?

Although this is desktop centric still applies to Laptops.

Regards, Dana.

That is showing a recurring error of a specific bit at a single address, so yes, there is a fault.

If you test with only the other memory module and get no errors, it will confirm that it was that it was the module you tested when the errors were found & not any other part of the system.

Pretty clear same address in RAM has a double bit error.

Cause could be stick, or marginal power supply internal. How old is
LapTop ? Also could be solder joint on motherboard. Make sure
connector clean for RAM on motherboard. Use magnifying glass
to examine.

Do other RAM addresses report errors as well ?
Laptop is 4 years old.
I checked connector contacts and it's clean.
No other RAM addresses report error.
That is showing a recurring error of a specific bit at a single address, so yes, there is a fault.

If you test with only the other memory module and get no errors, it will confirm that it was that it was the module you tested when the errors were found & not any other part of the system.

Probably the module is faulty, but I will not know for sure until I replace it with a new one.
I didn't have any Windows BSOD crashes since I removed RAM stick.

Store that sold me RAM stick refused warranty stating that "testing memory didn't show any faults".
They also agreed to send it to the Authorised Service Center for detailed testing, and after that they will finally decide on warranty.
Meanwhile, I bought the same RAM stick while I am waiting for the warranty decision.
I tested it with the MemTest86 and it didn't show any errors.

My guess is that the store didn't run MemTest86 or similar testing software, but rather they just tested briefly if it works on Windows.
It does work, but you never know when it's gonna crash, it may be in an hour or a 6 hours, but it will crash.
Hopefully, authorised service will approve warranty replacement.

Last edited:
You should be dealing with Kingston directly for warranty replacement, not the store or any of their agents, The store has no interest in any warranty.
Only issue is that you may need a copy of the sales receipt to send to Kingston after requesting warranty work on their web site.

You should be dealing with Kingston directly for warranty replacement, not the store or any of their agents, The store has no interest in any warranty.
Only issue is that you may need a copy of the sales receipt to send to Kingston after requesting warranty work on their web site.
Rather depends on what country you're in, and what the warranty conditions are - in the UK all your legal rights are against the retailer, and NOT the manufacturer.

However, with an extended warranty (as in this case - more than the required 12 months warranty) the retailer would often refer you to the manufacturer, as the extended warranty is between the customer and the manufacturer, and not the retailer and manufacturer.

When we ever became involved in such cases we would usually send it back 'on the customers behalf', using their return address - so we weren't involved at all.

No, the law in Serbia requires that you address FIRST to retailer.
If I'd go to authorised service first or manufacturer, then the retailer can refuse replacement.
Retailer is responsible for sending device to service or manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back