Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to take a comms connection back to battery storage system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hi,
We want to buy a Powervault Battery/Inverter/charger storage system.

The Powervault must be able to read a current transformer, clipped on to the incoming mains line next to the consumer unit. This current transformer module has an ethernet connection.

The following Powervault datasheet says that the current transformer should be no further than 25m away from the Powervault (at least that's what i think it means?)......
Supposing the Powervault is indeed 25m away from the current clamp at the consumer unit. How would you then wire the current transformer back to the Powervault?...
1...Use a long ethernet cable and somehow weave it through the house?
2....Use "TP links" so that the household mains wiring could be used to carry the current measurement signal back to the powervault?
-------______-----_____---------------------------------
The following video shows the Powervault, and at 13 seconds, you can see the current clamp ethernet cable going into the powervault, its marked "GRID". At 39 seconds, you can see the current transformer module......

I suspect it's using JR45 cables as a convenience, but for hard-wired sensors that do not use Ethernet. The grid & solar CTs appear to go to dedicated connections on the end of the unit.

Thanks, do you think they may use powerline data links to get from the grid current clamp, back to the powervault?

Nope, just copper wires. RJ45 connectors purely for simplicity. I'd guess they just have power and signal connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back