Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to stop voltage and current exceeding certain levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocoadev

If I wanted to protect a component from blowing (such as a luxeon star LED) how would I prevent more than 3.5v and 700ma from frying the device?
Is there a kind of 'limiter' component?
Thanks.

To Clarify. The source is low level audio output, which I want to amplify with a transitor to light the LED. But if by chance the audio signal comes in too strong, I dont want to blow the LED. I want to restrict it to the above numbers.

use a Zener to clamp the voltage to a MAXIMUM level.

LED's die due to current (voltage only in reverse blocking)

Since you need voltage for current to flow. Size the burn resistor for the LED such that is supplies maximum current at maximum voltage. That way as the voltage falls the LED will dim. IF the voltage tries to exceed teh Zener, it will clamp it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back