Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to recycle Ferric chloride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its slightly more complicated than i thought, it looks like farms mainly use the MDPE for livestock. So here I think we have a bit of everything!! Including one cast iron soil pipe on an outbuilding!!
PVC was outlawed here for drinking water (and yet apparently was very common 15-20 years ago!!), I dont have a clue why the keep swapping and changing rules, one minuet you can use this then the next you cant!

I like Vogel its easy to understand and although the diagrams are really old they give you some neat ideas.
Fieser and Fieser are apparently worth a fortune!! I would never part with them though, its a good book and a bit more in depth than Vogel but I like his writing style. I have always been a book person, I like the feel of a real book and like to go sit somewhere really quiet and just read.

Interesting about PVC in the UK. In the US, PVC is preferred by most code, but in Canada, as I understand it, ABS is preferred in many areas. One thing you learn is that code is always right, even when it is wrong. I still prefer copper for potable water. It doesn't break in the middle of the night.

Fieser and Fieser is very good, despite being Harvard, ugh. Vogel is still the gold standard in my view. Fieser and Fieser's series on reagents is very good. I have not updated my volumes in years, but they are still very useful. The only thing I really differ with the Fiesers on is their preoccupation with cats. I am a dog person.

Any of the texts you mention are more than adequate. After I retired, I volunteered at a small, local college, and the course text was by Wade (L.G. Wade, Organic Chemistry,Prentice Hall, 2006). It is quite readable. I suspect there is a more current edition.

John

Interesting about PVC in the UK. In the US, PVC is preferred by most code, but in Canada, as I understand it, ABS is preferred in many areas. One thing you learn is that code is always right, even when it is wrong. I still prefer copper for potable water. It doesn't break in the middle of the night.
I think the reason why ABS is preferred here in Canada, it because it doesn't become as brittle as PVC under cold conditions, and we have a lot of cold conditions. As far as I know, ABS is used only for wastewater. For water supply PEX (cross linked Polyethylene) is used. And copper of course.

My comment was ambiguous. I did not mean to imply PVC or ABS was used for potable water. Unfortunately, I combined the two thoughts into one paragraph. I have seen CPVC used for potable water, and that was the genesis for my comment about breaking in the middle of the night. PEX is also used for water. I still like copper with soldered fittings.

John

We have mainly copper pipes in the house (heating and drinking water in the kitchen), I prefer the copper but I like working with metal.

I will try and find a copy of the book you mention, I like the old books as they often tell you things that today are considered a no no.

Usually I just use baking soda to neutralize everything when done. Ferric chloride + baking soda should reduce to Iron Carbonate. Any copper would reduce to copper carbonate. Ferric Chloride is used to treat drinking water.

Since Ive discovered the "sponge method" of etching boards, the amount of etchant I use is very small, about a teaspoon. Disposal isn't a problem since any extra gets soaked up by the sponge. I let the sponge dry until the next time I use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back