Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure an unknown resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screech

How to measure an unknown resistor?
Whats the correct and safe-to-multimeter way to do this?

Do I set the electronic multimeter to 2meg first, then work my way down the ranges? Or is it the other way?

Also, can I damage the multimeter when measuring an unknown 4.7Meg resistor when setting the meter at 2Meg range?

Attachments

• mm.jpg
    mm.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 724
Hello Screech

You can use it both ways.. there is no posibillity to damage the resistor or the multimeter... just connect the resistor and play with the scale.

checking unknown resistance

:D hi screech,

just make sure that when you measure the resistance the power supply is OFF. :D :wink:

checking resistance

:D hi screech,

if a meter can be invented to measure a resistor resistance while the power is on in the circuit, that person will be an instant billionaire. 8) :lol: :lol:

forgetfulness is inherent to mankind :wink:

Re: checking resistance

mozikluv said:
if a meter can be invented to measure a resistor resistance while the power is on in the circuit, that person will be an instant billionaire. 8) :lol: :lol:

Use a combination of a Clamp meter (to measure the current trough the resistor) and a Volt meter (to measure the voltage drop accross the resistor), and you can calculate the resistance ...

...Am I a billionaire now ? ... where's that porche :p

If you'll use the ohmeter to mesure the resistance, take the resistor out of the circuit and measure it... Some of the circuit components may affect resistance...

It would be good if you set the multimeter to the high value of resistance and then start reducing it when you see the symbol "l" in the multimeter.That symbol indicates that you have chosen wrong range for the resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back