Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make PCB silicone button contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverhawk_184

Hello,

I have been looking everywhere on how to make those black conductive contacts that silicone rubber buttons make contact with. Like the ones in video game controllers (which are some how pressure sensitive), phone keypads, tv remote controls, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas? or know what the name for them are?

Thanks

Don't know what they are called, but I believe they are carbon granules bonded to the printed circuit board. It may be possible to make them with carbon filled epoxy if such a thing exists.

The ones I've seen appear to be a black, dense, conductive foam which makes contact between two adjacent semi-circular pads on the PCB when the button presses the foam against the PCB. Here's an article on making such devices.

Qtc

The best I can think of is quantum tunneling composite. It is a wierd material that changes resistance from very high to very low when pressure is applied. You used to be able to buy it in 2 or 3mm 'pills' from mapln however they seem to be discontinued. Like the stuff used in the PCB switches it is a grey-black colour.
Quantum tunnelling composite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
here is a wikipedia link explaing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back