Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make a (ups).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost 100% of the people wanting to build a UPS are hoping they're cheaper to build than buy. They live in countries that have regular blackouts because the power companies can't meet demand.

The additional load of everyone using a UPS would only make the problem worse.

That schematic is for an inverter. Most of a UPS, but not all of it (missing the power-monitoring and load-switching parts).

However, the inverter alone is enough to pretty much scare me away from trying to build one myself ...

I figure if they can figure out the schematic they can figure out the rest.

I believe everyone agrees that buying when it comes to a UPS is the best way to go. The buy over build holds true for quite a few things but with a focus on a UPS what many of the posters like this seem to not quite see or comprehend is what is involved in actually building the thing. Open up a 1 KW UPS and look at the board(s) alone. They going to build it on a breadboard? Getting a bucket of parts is the easy part and then you can't buy all the parts individually for the same cost you get them assembled. Back to the board. They going to do the board layout and how will they make the board? Many of these post come from people who are quite new to electronics and unfortunately, as can be seen by their questions, are not ready to embark on or understand the complexity involved.

Then yes, as I have seen in my short time here as blueroomelectronics points out. These posters are always from countries where power is scarce and rolling blackouts are the common norm. Their power grids flat out suck for want of a better way to describe it. They thrive on batteries and SLA is a way of life. When power returns a bunch of people are trying to charge batteries as their pumps try to get water up to the roof. I feel bad for many of these people but there is little that can be done. If I thought it would help and could easily be done, I would send them a UPS from my scrap pile.

Ron

Almost 100% of the people wanting to build a UPS are hoping they're cheaper to build than buy. They live in countries that have regular blackouts because the power companies can't meet demand.

That being the case, maybe the O.P. should just try to get a good inverter and battery set, and forget about the UPS function. Figure on using the inverter for certain loads, and rotate the batteries for charging as needed. Inverters are even cheaper than UPSs. (Here in the US, Harbor Freight has them.)

Yup, certainly for standby power.
Or even a small petrol generator may be better value, have higher output, and run for longer.

But neither is a UPS.
When the power goes off even for a few seconds, your RAM memory, and maybe many hours of work or valuable data is gone forever.

A laptop with an internal battery might be the best solution for many people.

Last edited:
Why bother with an inverter? Why not use 12, 24 or 48V devices such as fans, lamps, pumps. Should be more efficient than stepping up to 240VAC too.

Even in India, a ready built 500VA ups, of course semi trapezoidal wave, is cheaper at $25 equivalent, with a 12V 7AH battery incorporated. Perhaps , many people can well purchase , rather than try to build.

It is also possible that, on the process of making a project as needed in academic education, they are selecting this item.

Last edited:
Why bother with an inverter? Why not use 12, 24 or 48V devices such as fans, lamps, pumps. Should be more efficient than stepping up to 240VAC too.

ok tell me these devices are work on DC or on AC, if on AC also the inverter is required if on DC the device is also required to charge battery of 12V DC . REPLY ME MUST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back